do I have a 32bit or 64 bit?

serpentracer

In Runtime
Ok, dont bash me for buying a pre built computer. I wanted to build one but they cost more than buying one built aready. anyway,
I have a hp with an AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+.
but, I thought this was a 64 bit processor. but the system info says vista is a 32 bit OS.
does this sound right? or is my system info wrong? I've tried to install a few programs and they would not install because it said they are not compatible with this version of vista. I assume meaning they are for a 32bit system. and mine is the 64. or am I mistaken and this is only a 32 bit cpu? or does this not matter at all?
link to my computer
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...48&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3367151&lang=en

your cpu is 64-bit compatible but your OS is 32-bit, dont worry though it dosent make much of a difference unless you have 4gigs of ram

well, thanks. yeah after doing some research on amd website it looks as though it will work with both.
but HP opted to stick a 32 bit version of vista in it.
still works rather well and handles power hungary programs (such as video editing software Ulead video studio 10)with ease. I may opt to get the 64 bit version of vista,
is it better or not worth it?

well, thanks. yeah after doing some research on amd website it looks as though it will work with both.
but HP opted to stick a 32 bit version of vista in it.
still works rather well and handles power hungary programs (such as video editing software Ulead video studio 10)with ease. I may opt to get the 64 bit version of vista,
is it better or not worth it?

Download the compatability wizard from Microsoft and see what hardware will and what hardware won't work. I'd recommend 64bit because it supports way more ram. If you get 32bit you will still be limited to 3.25gigs so the 64bit has a better future for rigs. Plus as more and more programs are developed in 64bit they will run better. If the program isn't 64bit Vista has a 32bit compatability mode.

Back
Top Bottom