Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default do external HDD increase bootup time?

I have one 1TB external HDD (OS HDD is 1TB) PC boots up relatively quick around 50 seconds I haven't compared bootup times w/ the external HDD and w/ out.

I have read in some reviews that the larger 2TB and bigger external HDD increase bootup time (even when a SSD is used for the OS.

is this true or false?

if true will multi externals HDDs add to bootup time?

edit my WD external HDD has a on/off switch however I believe when the PC sleeps so doe's the HDD and when the PC is turned off I believe the HDD also turns off. so why doe's this HDD how a on/off switch?

Thanks STB

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: do external HDD increase bootup time?

Adding multiple external HDDs will increase your boot time. Any extra piece of hardware you got connected to your machine has the potential of affecting your boot time. It probably will not increase your boot time to a point that it matters though... Unless of course, your HDDs are seriously fragmented, then you might notice a difference.

dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
In Runtime

Dale what do you mean bye fragmented is that like a HDD having a bunch of partitions?

The one 1TB external I currently have has'nt really slowed my bootup time I was mainly asking about the larger 2TB or larger external HDD so is it true the larger the HDD the longer the boot time?

edit I'm only planning 2 externals current 1TB and another undetermined size as of now, would like a 2TB.

please respond to the on/off switch ? on the external HDD.

do internal HDD affect boot up time as a external doe's?

Thanks STB
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

No, "fragmented" refers to the way the file system handles data. As you use the HDD, the data stored on it will be stored in a less sequential way, which makes it less efficient to read and/or write to said data.

It is not necessary true that the larger the HDD, the longer the boot time. It depends on many things, including what the data stored on it is used for (do you read anything from it? at what stage? and during boot or system startup?) and the state of the file system.

It is almost always true that the more components you have connected to the machine, the longer the boot time (so yes, your internal HDD also affects boot time). But this increase in boot time might be so small that it is not worth worrying about at all.

I do not understand your question about the on/off switch.
dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

All USB devices increase bootup time because they have to be initialized first. It is not significant unless you have 15 devices connected.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I can say booting from my SSD if I boot with my externals plugged in there's no noticeable difference.

mac_attack is offline   Reply With Quote