Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Displaying Computer Signal on TV

Greetings to everyone, I'm new to the site.
I just received a computer for Christmas and am still trying to get the best setup. I was trying to get my computer hooked up to my TV for the purpose of watching DVDs, since I don't have a stand alone DVD player. I thought that I had the connections on the computer to make this easy (S Video, Composite). I only have the monitor connector - HP15F(?)(15 pin Female). I found a Y-splitter to run from my video card (ATI Xpress 200) to the monitor on one side, and a HP15? to composite video (Yellow) adapter. I thought I could then run the signal through the TV's Video In (composite). Unfortunately, this isn't working. I'll set the TV to receive the signal, and it acts as though it is receiving something, but even on different resolutions, there is no image.

If you've read through this, and understand what I'm talking about, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bloo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Displaying Computer Signal on TV

Welcome to the forums...!!

And you lost me. So your saying that,you dont have an Svideo cable output on the videocard, or you dont have the input on the Tv?

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
Solid State Member

I only have the composite Video In (Y) on the television, and a 15 pin connection on the video card.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Solid State Member

I managed to get an image on a old tv, but it is in black and white. I'm not sure about the correct resolution, the only time I could get a stable image was with my settings at *edit* 8-bit at 640X480.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
In Runtime

It took awhile, but I got my mx4000 hooked up to my TV via S-Video cable. I had to have a seperate monitor hooked up for debugging purposes. Since your card isnt NVidia, however, I really wouldnt have a clue about helping you. Sorry.
Marshillboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

do you have it set to PAL/NTSC or what ever TV format you have? play around with the different settings, thats what i did and adventually it all worked on a tv so old that it doesnt even have a scart on the back of it. my setup has a compostive cable going into a scart adaptor on a vcr and then from the vcr to the tv. if you can find it but another problem i incontered was that if you reduced the size of the picture (not the resolution) that seemed to work for me on my old computer.
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Is there any sort of product that would successfully transfer the VGA signal from my computer to the Video In on my TV?

I found this site that might explain my problems:
VGA to TV conversion techniques
Old 01-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Solid State Member

*edit* Nevermind
Old 01-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
Golden Master

I would say to just buy a new video card that has the S-video out. All new video cards pretty much have that now. Very standardized.