Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Display Problem - green/blue tint

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if my monitor is not working or if it is my video card or both. My monitor has a green/blue tint to it and I can't see the color red, but if I bring up the settings I can see red, though changing/resetting the color settings doesn't do anything for the actual display.

Here's a photo to make it easier to understand: Monitor by MikariStar on DeviantArt The candy corn on the wallpaper (left) is supposed to be orange, the right image shows the settings in default after resetting the monitor (the actual monitor, not just the PC). I've also tried rebooting the PC but nothing changes. The fact that I can see red on the settings is what makes me wonder if it really is the monitor, since it's at least capable of displaying the color there... Any ideas?

The card is an Nvidia with 2 ports, the monitor is connected through an adapter (It doesn't fit directly). I've had this set up for a few years now.

Update: The monitor won't display anything, though the light flashes as if it were disconnected. Here's a photo of the adapter: Adapter by MikariStar on DeviantArt I thought about trying it out with the motherboard output but it also doesn't work, although maybe that's because NVidia is in there.

mikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Display Problem - green/blue tint

The reason it didn't get a the red color is because the red signal is lost.
A VGA cable has Red and "Red return" wires inside the cable, (the same for blue and green)
If ether the red or red return wire is broken or unstable, it will result in the image looking like that.

Have you tried a different cable?
It's properly the cable, even though the pins look good.
It can be a broken wire.

btw. I'll suggest using HDMI or Display port instead.

MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
In Runtime

Diplay port will give you the full gamut of colors while hdmi will clip some colors.
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Beta Member

The monitor only has a VGA port and the Nvidia is DVI so I don't have any options there with the current hardware.

From what I've gathered at various forums, it looks like changing the cable might be the way to go. I bought a new cable before work, but I won't be able to test it until the end of the day. Let's see how that goes.
mikari is offline   Reply With Quote

monitor, nvidia, output, video