Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Disk Defragment Programs

The windows disk defragment program has reached its limit with my c drive and cannot process the files nearly as good as it should.

So, i was wondering whether you guys have used any other (3rd party) software to defrag, please let me know im stuck with a raptor that needs to be defraged. i'd prefer free software, but if you know of ones that cost money that would be helpful too. thanks.

Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Disk Defragment Programs

I use Disk Keeper. It's not a free program, but it came with my Intel D975BX2 so that's what I use now.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

What you mean reached its limit? You do realise that you need about 20% of your HDD free for reliable defragging
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
What you mean reached its limit? You do realise that you need about 20% of your HDD free for reliable defragging

no i dont mean that way, i know that there is a available space min. requirement.

whats happening is that even after I defrag my c drive (numerous times) there are thousands of fragmented files, and the defrag program just zips through the entire defrag within 30 seconds and leaves all the fragmented files as such, sometimes it even creates more fragmented files, when i first used it in today's session it helped the first time around but there were still a LOT of fragmented files left which it cant seem to fix.
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I use Diskkeeper Lite, and it works well, and it's free.

"... What I'm trying to say is, if you leave tonight and you don't remember anything else that I've said, leave here and remember this: Procrastinate now, don't put it off." ~Ellen DeGeneres
SheikZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki
no i dont mean that way, i know that there is a available space min. requirement.

whats happening is that even after I defrag my c drive (numerous times) there are thousands of fragmented files, and the defrag program just zips through the entire defrag within 30 seconds and leaves all the fragmented files as such, sometimes it even creates more fragmented files, when i first used it in today's session it helped the first time around but there were still a LOT of fragmented files left which it cant seem to fix.
Do the defrag in safe mode, when you do it in normal mode, alot of ya system files are running etc so it cant move them

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote