disconnecting

i checked the list and its already set to the one that's closest to me

Let's resolve this real quickly with a fast lesson in being an ISP. Now I go out and hire companies to provide me with local area hubs that connect you the user to my mainframe. My competor hires the same compaines. If you notice AOL and NetZero use many of the same dial in numbers. Well what does that tell you? Those hubs are very, very busy. Some, not all, will put a monitor on the line and if there is little to no activity you get knocked off. Stinks, but that's the way it is.
Your ISP software should have an autodialer that if bumped off it will move down the list to the next number. When you get back online go to the update phone numbers section and get the latest numbers they use. These will be the newest hubs comming online. Those are the ones you want to use. Less traffic on them. So it could be you have some crappy little hub that is overloaded and boots you off
OR
It could be noise on the phone caused by connections being corrioded. Noise can also be induced in to a line by running next to an ac power line. But most of the time the nasty little culprit is a bad ground at the phone box on the side of your house. call the phone company and start a trouble ticket. Let them check the line while you get those new numbers.

Back
Top Bottom