Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Dimesion 8250

I got a Dell Dimension 8250 from my aunt the other day and figured I'd try upgrading it for gaming. Its processor speed was pretty good (2.4ghz) but its RAM was a bit low (256mb) so I figured I'd beef that up 2gb and then go from there. The only thing is this Dell is only compatible with RDRAM which costs a crap-ton (around $350 for 2x526mb) and caps out at 526mb a stick.

Why the hell did Dell do this crap, why do they make me swap out the motherboard (which means I have to throw out the CD drive and HD because those are IDE) and basically just hold onto the case of the computer? Why even allow me to open up the case if I can't upgrade jack diddly? My main question is if there's any way around this. Is there an easy way to change the RAM slots so it takes standard DDR2 RAM or something? Or should I just screw it and swap everything out?

EatMoreHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Dimesion 8250

There is no way to change out the memory slots to accept DDR2 memory. Your best bet would be to start out fresh and forget about trying to update that old system.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote