Diffrence between graphics cards?

grapesofwonder

Baseband Member
If I search for a graphics card on Newegg (Like a GTX 460) I get a bunch of results for varying price. Whats the difference between these varying cards?

Different manufacturers/models. They use similar components, and the specs are usually identical or very close.

The best manufacturers are typically ASUS, EVGA, HIS, Gigabyte, and Sapphire. But basically you're good as long as it isn't XFX or ECS.

Different manufacturers/models. They use similar components, and the specs are usually identical or very close.

The best manufacturers are typically ASUS, EVGA, HIS, Gigabyte, and Sapphire. But basically you're good as long as it isn't XFX or ECS.

Jesus, more brand discrimination. There's nothing wrong with XFX or ECS. I'm on my second XFX card (first one was several years ago with an nVidia chip) and they have a market leading warranty on top of the other brands. ECS video cards aren't as common as the other ones out there, but ECS is fine to deal with as well.

Jesus, more brand discrimination. There's nothing wrong with XFX or ECS. I'm on my second XFX card (first one was several years ago with an nVidia chip) and they have a market leading warranty on top of the other brands. ECS video cards aren't as common as the other ones out there, but ECS is fine to deal with as well.

It isn't brand discrimination. Buy some of XFX's custom PCB ATI cards and you will see what I mean. They are either good or absolutely terrible. They had a revision of 4890s where just about every one failed. They also have this tendency to go really cheap on anything they can. This means you will get cards missing crossfire bridges, with cheap memory and without any vGPU control.

ECS also does bad custom PCBs, but I mainly listed them because it is absolute hell to deal with them would the card die. I spent six months trying to RMA an ECS board, and they kept just sending yet another broken board that they had 'refurbished.' I eventually just said screw it and bought an ASUS. The ECS board is hanging on my wall.

My current board is an XFX 5870. Works fine.

ECS is also one of the largest manufacturers of PCBs.

Hearsay and conjecture based on personal experience never helps someone out on a forum. If they chose to listen to your FUD, that's their business, but bad hardware happens. If it was a consistent problem (which as you can see with my experience it isn't) then I call foul. Not trying to get into a piss war over it, just tired of seeing people swayed based on petty personal experiences vs the whole picture.

I not have heard nor seen anything about XFX's issues with their 48xx family boards. A friend of mine has an XFX 4890 and it works fine for him.

Back
Top Bottom