Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Different OS. Need install help.

Okay right now I got xp but I want to put on a new os. The xp is installed on a 160gb hd and I have another 20gb hd. Is there someway to replaced the current os with the different os without losing any info?
__________________

VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

If it's Windows, it will just delete the Windows folder and write the new one.
__________________

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser
If it's Windows, it will just delete the Windows folder and write the new one.
yeah i want to install windows tiny beast. are you sure? and do i just boot from disk and install it like i normally would?
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualDrone
yeah i want to install windows tiny beast. are you sure? and do i just boot from disk and install it like i normally would?
yep, as long as u don't delete the partition all of the files will be there. U will need to install programs again though, since after installing a new windows the registry is gone.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:48 AM   #5
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
yep, as long as u don't delete the partition all of the files will be there. U will need to install programs again though, since after installing a new windows the registry is gone.
what do you mean I will have to install programs again? like the program folder or what?
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

yes it basically erases everything.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualDrone
what do you mean I will have to install programs again? like the program folder or what?
for example u have installed the game battlefield 2 on ur computer. Now u install a new windows in there. Then u try to run bf 2 and it will not work. U will have to reinstall the game, and then it will start working.
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
for example u have installed the game battlefield 2 on ur computer. Now u install a new windows in there. Then u try to run bf 2 and it will not work. U will have to reinstall the game, and then it will start working.
okay i am confused now. does my whole hard drive get wiped? cause i don't have any cds for anything so would i have to find the cds or whatever? and what if i have a folder of music or movies, will that get wiped?
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

yes it will.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Different OS. Need install help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualDrone
okay i am confused now. does my whole hard drive get wiped? cause i don't have any cds for anything so would i have to find the cds or whatever? and what if i have a folder of music or movies, will that get wiped?
hdd won't get wiped if u don't delete the partition. All of the files will be there, but when u install windows it will overwrite the registry file. All movies, music etc will work. Most of the software does need to be reinstalled, so u will need the disc for ur games and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this, someone might come up with something, maybe just copying the registry?
__________________

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0