Different Intel Processors And What Is Best For Me?

ashpash21

In Runtime
Would someone mind giving me a explanation of the difference between:

Intel i3
Intel i5
Intel i7

and what is the difference between ivy bridge and sandy bridge?
Also would someone mind explaining the different cores on them (dual, quad and six)
I'm asking this as I'm looking to buy a new computer and not sure what processor to go for.
Would someone help me choose. I spend most of my time playing world of Warcraft and listening to music and using Photoshop. And maybe sometimes do high end gaming.

Thanks in advanced

I would write an in-depth explanation but I see no point as this link covers all your questions and more.

As for what would be best for you, I think an i5 would be best, but I've got a few questions. How long do you spend gaming (approx.)? How much do you use photoshop? Do you game (or want to game) at low/mid/high/max settings? How much are you willing to spend (bearing in mind you'll probably need a new motherboard)?

I would write an in-depth explanation but I see no point as this link covers all your questions and more.

As for what would be best for you, I think an i5 would be best, but I've got a few questions. How long do you spend gaming (approx.)? How much do you use photoshop? Do you game (or want to game) at low/mid/high/max settings? How much are you willing to spend (bearing in mind you'll probably need a new motherboard)?

My computer I have at the moment is very old; I play on the lowest setting so it runs better. I would like to play on the high/highest setting possible. I use Photoshop a lot as well. I use it for school. My computer is what I use the most. So it would need to be capable of doing everything I needed. I'm not too worried about the price. I can get the money for it if i need it. And replacing the mother board is not a problem at all as I'm buying/building a new one.

lol exactly what I advised in your other thread.
( cooler master hyper 212 would be a good option to look at)

hyper 212 evo

I mainly posted this thread to find out the difference between the cores. If I went for the i7 what benefits would I get? (Faster start up time?)

Faster boot times would only come from an SSD. An i7 wouldn't really benefit you in any way, check the link I posted above for some info.

Will you overclock your CPU?

Faster boot times would only come from an SSD. An i7 wouldn't really benefit you in any way, check the link I posted above for some info.

Will you overclock your CPU?

I thought so! Would it be worth having the i7 just in case? Is there anything that a i5 does that an i7 doesn't?

I also found that there were Intel Xeon and Intel Itanium, I think these are for servers. What do they do that the core i3,i5,i7 don't do?

There's no point getting an i7 unless you have too much money or if you do a lot of video rendering, encoding and editing. As I said the i5-3570k would be best for your purposes.

I don't know much about server CPUs (which the Xeon and Itanium both are), but I doubt you'd need them anyway

There's no point getting an i7 unless you have too much money or if you do a lot of video rendering, encoding and editing. As I said the i5-3570k would be best for your purposes.

I don't know much about server CPUs (which the Xeon and Itanium both are), but I doubt you'd need them anyway

I might get the i7, just depends how much money I have at the time, Is there anything the i5 can do that the i7 can't?

Back
Top Bottom