Did I ruin my new hardware?

neosempai

Solid State Member
I'm doing my first build and I made the mistake of facing my heatsink the wrong way... so I took it off and turned it around to the right direction and installed it... but the problem was when I did this... some of the thermal pad came off.. so it might be more thermal stuff on say the left side than the right or vice versa... please tell me i didnt kill my new machine before its done

It should be fine. Some coolers are designed to be rotated anyway. As for the thermal paste, whats left should be fine for it to run. I would run down to your nearest computer store to pick some up and reapply with a small drop, about the size of one or two rice grains. Even Best Buy carries it.

yeah it's not ruined. But I'd clean the cpu and heatsink and then apply new thermal paste on it. Right now the cooling is probably a little messed up since it sounds like the thermal compound isn't there like it should be.

No big deal, it's not going to hurt it, but like others said, I would clean it off and reapply some more. Arctic Silver 5 is what you should use.

LOL It's not damaged that creamy stuff is made to come off, you can replace it by purchasing more and reapplying it like cabbspapp said

Back
Top Bottom