Dial up on Laptop?

jmacjr1125

Beta member
I am going to purchase a laptop for my wife for school.It says it has an intergrated V.90/V.92 modem.It also has an ethernet connection and is wirless capable with 802.11g/b what ever that is.We currently have a slooowwwwww dial up with a normal connection of 28800.only 10.00 a month.I want to be able to use this on the internet but do not know if I have the right ports in the laptop.I know I could upgrade to DSL but I am not sure about Broadband.Also what would I need to use wireless option on laptop?She is driving 140 miles roundtrip 5 days a week so gas is a major finance for us.Also is there any way to use both the PC and the laptop on the internet at the same time with dial up?

Ok according to ya specs the laptop has a 56k dial up modem, so thats double ya current desktop(theoretically). Everything is installed for ya DSL, which is what i would do personally, that way ya could use them both online together with ICS. To use the wireless connection ya would need a wireless Access point (AP) and a broadband connection. IMO its not even worth trying to connect online at the same time with dial up, would be far to slow.

That laptop can connect to the internet via dial up.... just don't expect to be about to walk around.

You could try and share the 28k connection but it wouldn't be worth the hassle and time. ( It would be VERY VERY slow)

802.11g/b is wireless. If you have a wireless router and its set up to use broadband, the laptop is free to walk around while online.

Using two dial-up connections at different places in the house will not work too.

Alright I have checked and I can get 1.5.Mbps Broadband for 24.95 a month through my phone service.Do you think this is the way to go in order for both computers to use the internet?Also will the wireless capabilities on the laptop work with this?Thanks for the help

I have 2 PC computers 1 for the kids will I have to change the modems in these to work with the new service?Also if I get a wirless modem for the laptop will the PC's work of of that?I do not need them to be wireless so what I am asking is will I have to have a router for the laptop and 1 for the PC'S or can they be put through the same router?I know these are simple questions for you people but I am lost when it comes to Laptops and broadband internet.I have had dialup for 8 yrs. now.Thanks again

Well, if you decide to get broadband and would like to share it with both of your computers you will need a router, wireless or not. If it is wireless you will need to buy a wireless card or a wireless usb adapter for your other computer. The laptop already has this built in so it will be good to go. If you don't go wireless, you will have to connect both computers via an ethernet cable to the router. You shouldn't need to buy anything but a router for this providing your other computer has a network adapter, if it's not too old it should.

If you don't decide not to go with broadband and stay with dialup, you can turn on internet connection sharing and share the connection between both computers, but it will be dreadfully slow....trust me, you won't want this option.

You can connect each computer seperately via dialup and only have one computer dialed in at a time and it will be the same as you have now. You will just have to set the details of what phone number to dial to and all that for the new computer. It's pretty easy.

jmacjr1125 said:
If I get a wireless router for the laptop will I also have to make the PC wireless?
No you won't have to make the pc wireless. You can just connect it with an ethernet cable. Most wireless routers also have a built in switch to connect pc's with ethernet cables.

THis may help but, to see if your PC has a ethernet port. Look at the back and check for a port that looks like a MODEM one but much LARGER with 2 LED lights on the corner.

Usually it is around where you plug your keyboard in.

Back
Top Bottom