Dial up connection problems

eeldu

Beta member
Had dial up connection problems for months, after initial dial up am unable to connect second time unless computer is rebooted. If you do dial out it seemingly connects giving you speed but unable to surf or download e-mail just get message (no error numbers) stating “incoming server (ISP specified) cannot be found please verify you are connected to the internet and that server address is correct and try again”. Have also tried using a different dial up!!??

It uses PCI modem, device manager says working/drivers updated and reinstalled
Windows XP been reformatted and reinstalled
Dial up connection has been reloaded manually and automatically. Have checked settings side by side with another computer having no problems in the household!

Any ideas?
Pages: 1

You say you compared with another computer in the household; so there are more than one computer in your house.
Do you use a router?
Did you contact your ISP for configuration:
Check configuration: Start>Run type ipconfig/all
then press enter.
Note what it marked.
>>You cannot compare two PC just like that unless one can connect and you can get the configuration from it, and then copy it in your dial-up properties.

I had the same problem once (in the dark ages, before I got DSL). I never did figure out what was causing it, but I was getting ready to reinstall windows anyway, so I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out. After the reinstall, it worked fine!

I did uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers though....it didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom