Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Unhappy Diagnosing BSOD memory dump?

Hi, I recently reformatted my computer and installed drivers for everything. I am running Windows XP home. Now my computer is BSODing and its a memory dump error. Is there anyone here who knows how to diagnose a BSOD? I am on a different computer right now but i just need to know what information is needed and i can get it for you.

Thank you in advance, to anyone who can help

jcon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Diagnosing BSOD memory dump?

Boot to the F8 safe mode menu. In the menu list select to disable auto restart. This keeps the computer from restarting and lets you get a look at the bsod screen. The first set of numbers will be your guide to finding out what is wrong. It looks like 0x00000000, something like that. You can run those through the Microsoft knowledge base to get an answer and some possible solutions.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

You might like to try this also,

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

Are you sure you have installed all the correct drivers for your pc?
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

i guess i'm never really sure. I know I installed the correct chipset drivers because they were from my Motherboards disc, I know I got the correct graphic drivers, I know I installed the right CPU driver.. i don't have a sound card.. I can't think of what else I need.

I'll do what setishock said first.

are there any other drivers that come to mind that i should have?

EDIT--- and i tried doing what you said, A True Folder, the "how to read the small memory dump files that windows creates for debugging"... But there is a corruption in the debugging files that i have to download from the Microsoft website. It won't go through the installation so i can't read the dump files.

any thoughts?

EDIT(AGAIN)--- hi, I figured out that there was a corruption because i had nvidia firewall on and that causes things to not download properly. I finished debugging my small memory dump file and the error in it was just a driver problem. (whew) ... from researching further it seems that it's an nvidia driver problem. So i'm going to roll back my drivers just a bit and see if that does the trick
jcon89 is offline   Reply With Quote