Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Determaining CrossFire supported cards?

Ok, today I was browsing Newegg.com and checking out video cards, and I saw the X1600PRO, which has 512MB GDDR2 memory and at a fairly low price. So I decide, "Hey! This is a sweet card! I wonder if its got CrossFire?" So, I browse the X1600PRo 512 versions, no CrossFire cards. However, I decide to check out the X1600XT models. Sure enough, I get cards that say, "CrossFire ready", and "CrossFire supported." Now, I'm knowledgable in the video card area, however, when it comes to CrossFire X1600 cards, I'm a tad bit lost.

So, I turn to you guys! My question is rather simple and hopefully you guys can answer it. Can I combine the X1600PRO 512MB GDDR2 card with the X1600XT 256MB GDDR3 CrossFire Supported card? Or... Do I have to get a regular X1600XT card and a X1600XT CrossFire ready card, or the CrossFire Supported card? Also, which card is the one I use as the master? Because you have the CrossFire ready, and CrossFire supported, which is which!?

JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Determaining CrossFire supported cards?

Does anyone know???

Old 02-26-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

No, they have to the be exact same chipset. And for the record (not sure if it was asked or not) but, you dont need a crossfire mastercard.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

All X800 and X1k cards are CrossFire compatible. You can mix and match different cards for CrossFire. So for example, you can have the X1900 XTX CrossFire Edition and the X1800 XT and they'll work. That's the advantage of CrossFire that SLI lacks.

Arrizx, you do need a CrossFire Master card. Why? Because it has a special chip on the PCB and plug that allows it to work with another ATI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_%28GPU%29

When in doubt, Wikipedia is your friend.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
BSOD

Awesome! I can get that X1600PRO w/ 512MB of memory! However, I need you guys to look somethign over for me.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102653

It says that it's CrossFire compatiple, however, does it have the Master chipset? Which card do I need to have to complete the CrossFire set up?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Alvino, people tell me that wikipedia tells lies and the articles are donated by regular day people. But IDK.

Yeah, I think CrossFire is better than SLI because any crossfire card can work with any other crossfire card. But I can't find any crossfire mobos really.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino
All X800 and X1k cards are CrossFire compatible. You can mix and match different cards for CrossFire. So for example, you can have the X1900 XTX CrossFire Edition and the X1800 XT and they'll work. That's the advantage of CrossFire that SLI lacks.

Arrizx, you do need a CrossFire Master card. Why? Because it has a special chip on the PCB and plug that allows it to work with another ATI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_%28GPU%29

When in doubt, Wikipedia is your friend.
Damn, well I read that somewhere. I swear, I heard that..
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 02-26-2006, 12:57 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
Awesome! I can get that X1600PRO w/ 512MB of memory! However, I need you guys to look somethign over for me.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814102653

It says that it's CrossFire compatiple, however, does it have the Master chipset? Which card do I need to have to complete the CrossFire set up?
Only the X850 XT PE, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX are CrossFire Edition Master cards. So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power
Alvino, people tell me that wikipedia tells lies and the articles are donated by regular day people. But IDK.
The vast majority of the Wikipedia articles are written by the editors of the site. If it was written by someone else, they usually check and edit everything. People don't donate anything other than money for the server payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power
Yeah, I think CrossFire is better than SLI because any crossfire card can work with any other crossfire card. But I can't find any crossfire mobos really.
That's because ATI has finally perfected the RD480 CrossFire chipset. Previous versions were buggy and didn't work that well.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #9
Golden Master

I think I remember where I saw it. From a 3dgamerman video I think..
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino
Only the X850 XT PE, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX are CrossFire Edition Master cards. So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.
Interesting. Because multiple people keep saying that they have them BOTH in CrossFire. What are you referring to? Are you saying that I won't be able to have all the options of CrossFire enabled. Please refer me to a link of some sort.

[EDIT] After rereading your post you say,

Quote:
So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.
So any X1K family card has the chipset? Which includes the X1600. I don't know, still partially lost on the subject.