Desktop HDD in a laptop

foothead

Omnicide now.
Could I safely put a 3.5 inch HDD in a laptop the uses 2.5 inch HDDs? I assume yes, but I'm a little bit worried about power requirements.

EDIT: I'm thinking a 1 TB 7200.12 because it's only got two platters. According to seagate, the power consumption is <5w idle, <10w active.

I'm going to say no simply because I have yet to see a laptop that has a big enough area to hold a 3.5" hard drive. If you can find a laptop that has a large enough cradle for the 3.5" drive, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Could I safely put a 3.5 inch HDD in a laptop the uses 2.5 inch HDDs? I assume yes, but I'm a little bit worried about power requirements.

EDIT: I'm thinking a 1 TB 7200.12 because it's only got two platters. According to seagate, the power consumption is <5w idle, <10w active.

I reckon the only difference between a 3.5 and 2.5 drive apart from size is going to be a watt or two if that. I'd go ahead and use it.

EDIT: I've just seen 2.5" drive power consumptions @ about 3W read/write! So yea, is the laptop motherboard capable of supplying enough current to a 3.5" drive?

EDIT: I've just seen 2.5" drive power consumptions @ about 3W read/write! So yea, is the laptop motherboard capable of supplying enough current to a 3.5" drive?

Exactly. The 7200.4 only draws like 2 watts.

Size is irrelevant here because it's going in a custom case.

Unless I can be reasonably sure it'll work, I'm probably gonna go with this. It's just that I can get twice the storage for the same cost in desktop drives.

Back
Top Bottom