Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Desktop extending question.

I have two pretty old laptops, both XP, that I have been playing around with extended desktops on. One does not detect when a monitor is attached, although it will display, and therefore there is no option to extend. The other is fine.

The one that works only has a VGA output, but it does have three USB ports. I have therefore been looking at the USB/VGA adapters (you can also get USB/DVI etc). I assume these are in effect external video cards, hence the price.

What I am unsure of is this. If I use one of the adapters in one of the USB ports AND connect another monitor via the laptop's VGA output, when I go into Control Panel/Display/Settings will I have the means to extend to two screens?

A couple of the adapters I looked at had CDs inclduded which would suggest drivers but also a menu to set up an extended laptop. If I don't set that up will the control panel see the two screens still, and If I do will I end up with two places to extend from, and still not get what I want?

I suspect if I bought two adapters and plugged in one each to a USB Port I would get the right result, but if I can get it with one device and the existing output and cable, so much the better.

montoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Desktop extending question.

i have used the Play.com - Buy USB 2.0 to VGA Adaptor Cable For Extra Monitor Screen online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

it works fine i have windows 7 home premium tho. just put the cd in load it up and away you go. however this did not work with my win 7 starter, if you plug one screen in the vga slot and you can have an extended screen it should work.

1adf1 is offline   Reply With Quote