Designing Computer on Website, Please Critique Choices

my brother got a computer last year that came with 4 slots. 2 had 1 gig sticks in them and the other two were empty. do you need to specifically request that there are extra slots?

No you can not change the number of RAM slots on your motherboard. I'm assuming that the computer will come with 2 RAM slots. I almost positive that only the Dell XP's come with 4 slots.

Is it a uATX motherboard? If it is then it will almost definitely come with only 2 DIMMs.

Breaking News
using all the advice here we formulated this idea for a computer

-intel core Dduo processor E6550 4MB
-windows xp (Windows Vista Premium if not available)
-17 Inch Flat
-2 gig 667MHz 2DIMMS
-100 GB with Data Burst Cache (or smallest option larger than this)
-16x DVD+/- RW Drive
-ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 128 MB
-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
-dell keyboard and optical mouse
-no Bluetooth options
-no media reader
-Data/Fax Modem plus 802.11b/g wireless PCI card
-3 year virus protection
-2 year warrenty
-wireless router

yesterday in the mail however dell sent us a pamphlet for sales on computers.
maybe some of ya'll are familiar with it, the Vostro 200 Slim Tower is looking like what we want. here are the listed specs

-intel Core 2 Duo Processor (what we wanted
-windows XP or windows vista
-2GB DDR2
-250 GB HD
-16x DVD+/- RW Drive
-Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
-1 year limited warrenty
-20' widescreen flat

all this for just $500
i'm guessing i would then have to get 3 years of virus protection for an extra $150 or so and then an extra year of warrenty for $100 right?

also i was quite surprised they offered windows xp. i thought they were trying to force vista on us. would it be wise to go with xp?

we wanted the 128 MB video card, but this comes with the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. would that be passable for wow?

Don't pay any money for virus protection, there are many free programs that are just as good if not better than Norton etc.
Anti-virus:
AVG free-edition 7.5,
or Avast! antivirus
Anti-spyware:
Spybot search and destroy
AVG anti-spyware free edition.
WOW isn't very demanding so I think the the integrated graphics could handle it (can somebody confirm this please?), however it will eat into your system memory slightly.
Other than that, it looks very good for $500 and XP is fine for your needs.

Dont get a dell, please. You can easily build your own for much cheaper. But, then again, if you're just using your computer for word processing and internet, what you have there is fine.
EDIT: Definitely download AVG Free anti-virus instead of buying norton, it isnt very good at all.

Dont get a dell, please. You can easily build your own for much cheaper. But, then again, if you're just using your computer for word processing and internet, what you have there is fine.
EDIT: Definitely download AVG Free anti-virus instead of buying norton, it isnt very good at all.

I've already tried to convince him:( . But don't nag him, he says he doesn't have the time to learn.

Back
Top Bottom