Dell XPS comps

draik

Baseband Member
Are the Dell XPS comps worth pickin up as gaming computers? What are some pitfalls and pros about them?

PRICE

otherwise aawesome comps
id suggest building your own if you want to
cheaper and u get what u want :p

They're pretty good gaming PCs. They allow you to customize them on their website. Some pitfalls about Dell is their case design. They add all these junk in them that makes it hard to add certain parts. My roommate just bought a new Dell XPS and opening it up revealed a huge mess of plastic parts here and there. Also, customizing on their website add to the cost significantly where if you were to build it from scratch, it would actually end up much cheaper than getting a Dell.

also dell's tech. support is so-so. Personally I hate it but some others have had good and bad experiences with it. I'd say just build your own.

the xps I was checkin out was customized,and cost just under 1300. here are the specs.
XPS 410
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel
256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition sound card
Dell AS501PA 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for Analog Flat Panels

yeah you don't want turbocache. I have an X300 with hypermemory which is the same thing as turbocache and it sucks. If you're doing to game get a dedicated video card.

Thats actually a good price for all that stuff. I built an e6300 system from newegg and still spent almost 900 and didnt get a monitor, no copies of windows and no warranty for service ;)

buttt. if you build, up the ram to DDR2 @ 800mhz, at least a 7600gt and possibly a better audio card. You'll have to also buy a mobo, which, if you are a gamer, go 680i chipset, and maybe upgrade to two 7600GT @ 200 for the pair...

For a video card, would I want to go with something more along the lines of PCI express for gaming?

Back
Top Bottom