Dell Latitude D510 upgrades

I have one of these laptops, here's what you can do with it:

Specs according to my research;
40GB hard disk-
I prefer the 80gig WD Scorpio Hard drive, I use a external fire wire 1 terabyte Seagate drive. But you can go up to 120gig, but Dell only offers driver up to 80 gig.

Pentium M 1.73 GHz processor-
The processor is upgradable to a maximum of 2.13 ghz($60), but a 2ghz($30) is just fine. Reflash your bios after upgrading the processor.

512.0 MB RAM-
Upgradable to 2gb(make and excellent difference) I have had the best luck with crucial memory and corsair($20 to 30). Corsair XMS ($75)has a lower case latency, thus faster, but is very hard to find and expensive.

CD-RW / DVD-ROM optical drive
The highest upgrade you can get is a light scribe dvd/rw($50-75)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphic card
You can't do much with the video card it is integrated onto the MOBO, but more then likely you have an XGA screen, this model came with 14.1 and 15 inch screens xga standard, you can upgrade to a 15" SXGA screen very sharp picture. Your bios will tell you if you have an xga or not.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS
I use this one, I prefer XP pro.

The wireless card, I upgraded to the Intel pro 2915($10), it really does better(range and signal consistency) then the stock Intel 2200, you will have to use a general driver for it, you wont find it under the d510.

Some other upgrade, you can get a second battery http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=2738 the fits into the optical drive bay, increasing your battery time.

You can also put a second hard drive in this same bay, they make them in ATA and Sata, the sata does bottle neck but you do get a noticeable faster transfer rate. http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=3639.

The one I have my wife uses. There are different colored tops, my wife's top is pink. I have seen blue and black tops, but they are hard to find.

You can also get a keyboard spill cover, good idea if you have kids.

Thank you for those suggestions. They all seem worth it for the price.
The wireless card will probably come first as Linux has refused to support the one I have so far.
It worked when I ran it off the optical drive but now that linux ( ubuntu 9.04 ) is running from the hard drive it will not recognize the card. None of the articles seem to apply and I'm ready to replace it with a known match to the OS.

Back
Top Bottom