dell laptop takes a while to shut down

dcjose201

Baseband Member
I just got a dell inspiron 700m laptop from a friend and decided to take it to school because its small and portable. However there are times when i try to shut it down or restart it that it takes like 20mins for it to shut down or restart. What can i do to correct this?

i dont know, maybe run some kind of adware,virus thing to see if anything is doing to it or reinstall windows?
dont know if those would help, since i never got that problem.

well the funny thing is that when i got it i did a reformat of the hdd and reinstalled xp.

open up the PC while its shutting down and listen to hear if the harddrive sounds like its running normally. If you hear any clicking sounds and like hanging sounds, then you know you have a problem with the harddrive.

Also, check the background tasks...are you installing updates??

If i were you, go out and get a new harddrive...and see if it still takes awhile to shut down.

Also how much ram are you running?

Maybe it's overheating?

would over heating slow down a shutdown? i thought if a pc was overheating it would shut off instantly?

would over heating slow down a shutdown? i thought if a pc was overheating it would shut off instantly?

Oops I read the post wrong lol. I thought he said it shuts down randomly =p
Hmm maybe spyware or something is running in the backround. When you first installed XP did you do all the updates first b4 going online? I say this because your really vulnerable to viruses and spyware when you first do an install. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think im sure lol.

I only have 1gb of ram in it. Just in case it is the hard drive does it mean that it is going to eventually crap out on me? I gave the laptop to my little brother since he has been wanting one. I would hate to have him go spend money to buy another hard drive for it.

what if i hear clicking on other dell laptop inspiron 1420. do i have a bad harddrive?

Back
Top Bottom