dell inspiron 6000

here_is_gone

In Runtime
I'm thinking about getting a laptop soon, and I wanted to know if anyone else on here has a Dell Inspiron 6000. Have you had any problems with it? Battery/Hard Drive Failure/CD Drive/Internal Wireless/Etc. My dad has one and it works great, but I wanted to see if anybody who has had one for a while has had any problems with it.

If I get one, this is how I'll have it customized:

-Pentium M 740 - 1.73 Ghz
-15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel (I can upgrade to a 15.4 inch UltraSharp WSXGA+ LCD Panel, but is that worth 100 dollars?)
-512 MB Shared DDR2 SDRAM - 2 Dimms
-80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive - (I could get a 7200 rpm hard drive, but if a 5400 rpm one is still decently fast, i'll stick with that)
-24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) I can upgrade to a wireless card that supports a/b/g; is that worth it?
-Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - I could upgrade to a 64 MB video card, but all I'm going to do is watch DVDs and possibly play Halo
-6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr) Is it worth 100 dollars to upgrade to a 9 cell? How much more battery life would that give me?
-Microsoft Works Suite 2006- Includes MICROSOFT WORD plus much more!

That's $893. Any suggestions of what I could upgrade, or suggestions for other brands of laptops would be appreciated.

Heres the link to customize it: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i6000S1&s=dhs

I actually just saw a deal where I can get $200 off any laptop over $999, so I have $107 worth of upgrades..what should I get?

Thanks very much for the help. :D

CPU is fine, RAM is fine, HDD...I'd go with the 60GB 7,200rpm personally, but 80GB 5,400rpm is good value, so that's fine...and pretty much everything else looks good, although I'd go with a DVD Rewriter. I don't really think a higher resolution and ultrasharp is worth it, unless you have deep pockets or are just willing to spend on it.

Here's a review of the Inspiron 6000: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2665&review=Dell+Inspiron+6000+(Pentium+M)

lol, no problem. External drives do tend to cost more than internal ones though, so you might wanna take that in consideration. :)

Back
Top Bottom