Dell CPU Not Recognizing Battery (0% charge)

scarlo

Beta member
My girlfriend shut the lid of my laptop while it had a print job pending, and so for some reason when that happens it won't charge the battery nor shut down the cpu (is this Dell-specific?). So... My battery drained from 100% down to 0% and now the CPU unit won't recognize the battery at all, and won't charge it. I think this is because the battery is a "SMART" battery, meaning it has a processor, etc, and since it has no juice it all it can't interact with the CPU at all. When I power my system on it says "the battery is not recognized by computer, and will not charge" or something like that.

I've tried unplugging it, shutting it down, putting it on standby, taking the battery out and putting it back, removing printer cable, etc.

Any suggestions? I prefer not to buy a new battery over this as I can see it happening again in the future -_-

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm past the warranty period. I would think this is something rather common and I'm surprised to not find any online help when googling "battery not recognized" and "laptop battery reset" & similar.

I guess if no one has had this problem then I will call and bite the bullet and pay for their service fees. I can tell you after all the stuff I've read about Dell during the past day or so it's likely that I won't be purchasing anymore stuff from them.

right my bro had this excate problem, and all it was a broken power supply charger you can order a new one and everythings fine....electric surge maybe

I don't think so, I read up a might on it. It seems that since it is a "SMART" battery it has a chip of its own which interacts with the PC- since this battery is down to absolute 0% charge it cannot interact, and therefore the CPU won't recognize it nor charge it.

Back
Top Bottom