Dell 5400 giving me the middle finger.

Jsy

Baseband Member
I'm working on a Dell T5400 xeon workstation. The client wants to do use duel monitors. Well with dell and it's mighty graces won't let you do it (though it a 6-800 dollar card). The drivers on windows xp pro and ATI catylist are conflicting with each other, which prevent the user from doing duel monitors.

Now the fun begins...

I replace the video card with an Nvidia 9400gt and works like a dream, but i have two issues.

First is when the machine is turned off and turned it back on. I have to like jump start it. I have to repeatedly hit the power-on button to get it to work. After 5-10 tries it will work.

Second issue is the machine take a good 2-4 minutes to "apply personal settings."

This is all with the new video card, but as soon as i put the ati card back in it works just fine. Powers on and off with out failure, and "apply personal settings" in seconds.

I called up Dell to see if they could give me any input and they just tell me to reformat. I called back three times and that is their solution to everything. Frankly, its not that easy. It's a multi-million dollar company and reformatting is the absolutely last resort. There are too many files and programs that have to be installed and set up. A day with out this machine is going to cost us and them money. Any thoughts?

The video card is ATI FireGL V7600, which is about $500-$1k. The power supply can handle a cheap 80 pci-e card just fine. Its running at 875w.

ohh i thought you were talking about the 9400gt not working properly...

I am. The power supply is a dell 875w. The video card swapped in is a 9400gt. Its a low end card. The psu is fine.

I am. The power supply is a dell 875w. The video card swapped in is a 9400gt. Its a low end card. The psu is fine.

are you sure that the power supply is 875 watts? i am even google searched and there is no such thing as a 875 watt power supply. Do you have your specs correct?

I would double check each of the connections inside of the tower. My friend runs an SLI 9800 GTX system and has the same problem with starting it up sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom