Deleting registry bad in any way?

Did u really think I wanted to delete the entire registry? I'm not that stupid. What I meant by deleting the registry was deleting unneeded items in the registry. Anyway I got a software for it, and my computer runs slightly faster with spyware removed too, any other ideas for more speed?

Grisoft (Makers of AVG anti-virus) has a free spyware scanner and removal tool that will catch a lot. I've seen some free registry scanners but I don't really trust freeware that deals with such a crucial part of the system. You could buy something but I rarely buy software tools, just me being cheap, but with my technical knowledge I can always recover if anything slips by my free virus scanner and spyware scanner. I may lose some files in the process, but I don't have any files on here that are worth more than $50, so why pay to *maybe* keep them safe?

Also, I dunno what kind of hardware you have, but adjusting some Windows GUI settings, like mouse shadow, animated menus and minimize/maximize, that will speed you up a little, but not that much if you have a newer computer. You could check your background processes and take unwanted stuff out of the taskbar and auto execute at logon, if you know how to determine that stuff. If you want to try and figure it out, it's in the Windows home keys menu (Ctrl+Alt+Del), and the Startup autorun list is in Run: msconfig. Don't mess with that list if you don't know what the processes are that you want to turn off.

superman22x said:
Did u really think I wanted to delete the entire registry? I'm not that stupid. What I meant by deleting the registry was deleting unneeded items in the registry. Anyway I got a software for it, and my computer runs slightly faster with spyware removed too, any other ideas for more speed?

Well thats how ya have got it worded in ya first post mate :)

lol. deleting the Reg..lol.. superman22x you the funnest.. delete the reg.. That one is good.

Tips.. Never deleted the REG..lol
You can clean the reg up alittle but i dont think thats making your PC slow.

Reformating helps clean out and crap.
Do a deep scan disk to check your Hard drive is not on its way out.
Do a simple analyze in the Defrag tool to check if your drive is messy.
Spyware is a pain in the ahole and will make your computer slower then a snail if not looked after.

I should check the disk for problems is what you're saying, I assume, as well as a defrag. I formated not too long ago, and currently my specs are:
P4 2.7 ghz
512 ddr 333mhz
AGP 5200FX
80gb PATA HD

Its a Dell 4600, about 3 years old. But I am building my own beast, lol. So I can format this one for my parents again and not put any of my stuff on it.

Just back all the data up, format the disc and re-install. I have to do this every so often and many people recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom