Defragmentation

I do every 3 days, except I do not use Windows defrag program. I use SystemMechanics defragmentor, which is FAR BETTER.

if you defrag too often it will lessen the life of your hard drive this is one of the reasons microsoft changed the defrag to give you a analize first so widows defrag will let you know when it is reqired although it is probably incorrect im lucky if i defrag at all but some people like to do it regular.
especialy if they have a lot of data they use.i think its actualy upto the individual when you want to defrag

ASSEMBLER said:
if you defrag too often it will lessen the life of your hard drive this is one of the reasons microsoft changed the defrag to give you a analize first so widows defrag will let you know when it is reqired although it is probably incorrect im lucky if i defrag at all but some people like to do it regular.
especialy if they have a lot of data they use.i think its actualy upto the individual when you want to defrag

How did you come to that conclusion? I think defrag will extend your hard drives life because it runs faster and more efficient when the files are not fragmented. The head doesn't move as far and has less movement.

To answer the original question, I defrag on a daily basis. Actually my defrag program is set to run automatically in the background. I set the run time when I installed it and it runs without disrupting what I'm doing.

i defrag every once in a while. I use diskkeeper pro. It is very good in my opinion. The only defrag program that i have ever used.

I have never heard that it lessens the life of your hard drive. Where did you get that information? I would be interested in finding out more if that is the case. Especially since I have a third party defragger that runs continually in the backround.

I have heard that it lessens the life of your harddrive... I would guess that its all the work that defragmenting does, a lot of stress on the drive.... am I right?

I defrag every two weeks or so... My harddrive gets fragmented pretty quickly though... not sure why...

Back
Top Bottom