Deciding Between 2 Monitors

xeeu

Beta member
Well a few days ago my very old Dell monitor I've been using as a second screen stopped working. Its gotten to the point where it feels like I'm being constantly restricted on one screen so I went from 0 knowledge on monitors to having a general idea of what I want, and have narrowed it down to 2 different screens. For ease of reference I'll just label them as 1 and 2.

1. ASUS PB Series PB238Q
  • 23" Screen
  • 1920 x 1080
  • 6ms Refresh Rate (Gray to Gray)
  • IPS Screen
  • 80,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio
2. ASUS VG248QE
  • 24" Screen
  • 1920 x 1080
  • 1ms Refresh Rate (144Hz) (Gray to Gray)
  • TN Screen (I believe)
  • 80,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • 3D Monitor
  • Nifty Screen Effects
If you've picked up on it, I'll primarily be getting this monitor for gaming. Although with saying that, color is very important to me. I've mainly heard IPS type screens are better with handling color, which Monitor 1 is. If anything I'd prefer getting an IPS monitor, but the refresh rate and high response time on Monitor 2 interests me as well. Right next to the importance of color is the importance of refresh rate, but I'm not sure if it should be as big of a worry as I'm making it. It might of been propaganda, but I was told you can't even tell difference between refresh rates under 12ms. If that's so refresh rate wouldn't mean much to me and I'd probably go with Monitor 1. Any feedback would be nice on which screen is the best buy for my buck, Thanks!
(Just a side note, I'm not totally sure if the contrast ratio deals with color or not and since they're the same ratio on both monitors, I'm not totally sure if that means the colors both monitors put out are near equal.)

I'm no monitor guru, so maybe others have more enlightened input. However the contrast ratio defined is essentially how true your monitor can display black. You'll notice on projectors or similar TV's, if the contrast ratio is closer IE 800:1 vs 2000:1, even while the TV is attempting to display black the backlit will produce some white. That's my understanding anyway. I'm not sure how they measure the new 80000:1 contrast ratio, haven't really read about that yet, seems like a crazy high number.

As for the screen. I'd say that second, seems to do what you want and you get an extra inch of size.

I don't think you can go wrong with either monitor. Personally, i would choose the first one. IPS is awesome - I recently got my first IPS monitor and now I won't buy a monitor that's not IPS. Also, the screen will be a bit sharper on the first since you are packing the same resolution in a smaller screen size. Plus, after the rebate, the first monitor is ~$80 cheaper. Another important question, which monitor would fit your current setup and match your monitor best?

I would go for the ausus has way more refresh rate that the other one but other than that not much diffrence

I don't think you can go wrong with either monitor. Personally, i would choose the first one. IPS is awesome - I recently got my first IPS monitor and now I won't buy a monitor that's not IPS. Also, the screen will be a bit sharper on the first since you are packing the same resolution in a smaller screen size. Plus, after the rebate, the first monitor is ~$80 cheaper. Another important question, which monitor would fit your current setup and match your monitor best?

Right now I'm working on a HP w1907 stock screen that came withe a PC I bought a while ago. Since I'm not looking for a screen that's 19" and 1440 x 900, anything would be better. The IPS part of the first monitor interests me as much as the refresh rate of the second monitor, but if the refresh rate isn't even noticeable, I'd probably go with the first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom