Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Decent Headphone Amplifier

I recently purchased some Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones. The sound is very high quality but the only problem is the volume. Even on max it just doesn't seem to be loud enough for me. I'm looking for a decent headphone amplifier that can sufficiently raise the volume (I only need a little bit) without sacrificing any sound quality. My main computer is a desktop not a laptop. This amp does not need to be portable or small, as long as it raises the volume and sounds good everything is fine. If you have any suggestions for nice amps, please post. Thanks in advance.

zlashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Decent Headphone Amplifier

Right click the speaker icon and open playback devices. Set the output device to headphones.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Baseband Member

setishock, my headphones are plugged directly into the motherboard, not through a separate headphone jack. The playback devices list does not distinguish from headphones and speakers when they are plugged into the motherboard. My only choices provided are Speakers, Realtek Digital Output, and Realtek HDMI Output. If you think I have made a mistake and that headphones should be listed, don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

with your motherboard sound your not going to get very loud, I'm thinking you need a new sound card, i know from my realtek sound on my motherboard to my sound card makes a huge difference in sound. just my 2cents =\
Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Thanks for the post Getignited. I know that a sound card will provide louder and clearer sound, but my motherboard has some pretty good on board sound. This is my motherboard here -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188024

I thought that this motherboard would provide sufficient quality sound. If you think otherwise, don't hesitate to inform me. If I am correct, don't hesitate to tell me about any high quality headphone amps. Thanks.