Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #21
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Decent GFX Card?

Ahh... I just looked it up..
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Dell_Del...puter_for_Home

Doesn't look like it has a PCI-E 16x slot.. or even AGP for that matter... sorry dude, but it looks like you may be out of luck with this computer regarding video upgrades.

The best you can do it seems is... *sighs* buy a cheapie GeForceFX 5500 PCI card... it's really sad how many dell users are forced into that kind of junk.. but it should get you a 'playable' framerate.

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #22
Fully Optimized

Ah, I was afraid of that... Yeah, the FX 5500, or the ATi 9200 (just wait until John123 comes in here...) would be your best options. Those really won't give you what you want, though. Your best bet is to potentially save your money and upgrade the whole thing. You won't regret it. This is why many people (including myself) aren't fond of Dell - their support for third-party upgrading is pretty much nil. Which is understandable from a marketing standpoint, but not from a convenience standpoint... Sorry about that man, hope you don't get too bummed out.

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 AM   #23
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to V3RT1G0 Send a message via MSN to V3RT1G0 Send a message via Yahoo to V3RT1G0

aww that really sux lol damn ive been saving money and for nothing o well guess ill just buy some other small upgrades but with those "cheapie" cards how will the framerate run? like i dont really care on quality of gfx but of how smooth the game will run
Old 06-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamxx
Ah, I was afraid of that... Yeah, the FX 5500, or the ATi 9200 (just wait until John123 comes in here...) would be your best options. Those really won't give you what you want, though. Your best bet is to potentially save your money and upgrade the whole thing. You won't regret it. This is why many people (including myself) aren't fond of Dell - their support for third-party upgrading is pretty much nil. Which is understandable from a marketing standpoint, but not from a convenience standpoint... Sorry about that man, hope you don't get too bummed out.
Yeah, i'm not fond of dell either. If I had to pick a company for a PC.. i'd probably go compaq.. decent upgradability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RT1G0
aww that really sux lol damn ive been saving money and for nothing o well guess ill just buy some other small upgrades but with those "cheapie" cards how will the framerate run? like i dont really care on quality of gfx but of how smooth the game will run
At bare minimum?.. well.. I have the agp version of the 5500 in another pc around here.. runs cs source OKish at about 800x600, medium settings.. but since your on PCI.. it's gonna be ugly.

At 640x480 DX7 mode all settings minimum.. you might be able to pull of a playable framerate.. but don't hold your breath.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #25
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to V3RT1G0 Send a message via MSN to V3RT1G0 Send a message via Yahoo to V3RT1G0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Yeah, i'm not fond of dell either. If I had to pick a company for a PC.. i'd probably go compaq.. decent upgradability.

At bare minimum?.. well.. I have the agp version of the 5500 in another pc around here.. runs cs source OKish at about 800x600, medium settings.. but since your on PCI.. it's gonna be ugly.

At 640x480 DX7 mode all settings minimum.. you might be able to pull of a playable framerate.. but don't hold your breath.
o then i guess its not really worth it but o well no gaming for me man this really sux but thx for all your help you guys
Old 06-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #26
Golden Master

Quote:
o then i guess its not really worth it but o well no gaming for me man this really sux but thx for all your help you guys
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Being a teenager with no money on a crappy computer sucks.. (i'd know. >_<)
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #27
Fully Optimized

I can play CS:S on my laptop okay... It has integrated graphics. You should be okay.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #28
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Being a teenager with no money on a crappy computer sucks.. (i'd know. >_<)
lol howd you know? im 14 but i know my good share of computers ... but yea i bought this computer myself too
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Golden Master

Quote:
lol howd you know? im 14 but i know my good share of computers ... but yea i bought this computer myself too
Well, hope you can save up some more.. you might want to do more research before you buy your next computer... hope you didn't spend too much on that e310.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

try custom if you're up for it. start saving up.

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote