Death by Ribena..Has it had it?

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi there,

My girlfriend is a primary school teacher and has just spilt a glass of ribena over her laptop. We immediatly removed battery and power, dried it up the best we could and left it to dry for 24 hours.

I took the HDD out copied all documents across, so at least she has all her work.

We had out fingers crossed when we tried to boot it .... but no luck.

However. When you plug in the charger, the charger light comes on to indicate it is charging. And the orange standby light in is and when you press the power button it changes to green for about 2 seconds but then goes back to orange.

She is obviously very scared that she will get in trouble and I just wondered if you guys may have any ideas of what is wrong, as with past experience with water damage the system is usually dead as a Dodo.

I have read some reports of the newer boards having a safetey device that after dismantling and putting back together it works again?!

Any ideas guys?

The laptop is a school issue Ergo Engage 271

Help would be very much appreciated!!!!

I would take it to bits and clean all the sticky juice off, then put it back together, and leave it in a rather hot ish place.

I've had this happen to one of my laptops, Thankfully I was able the save the ram and hard drive but the laptop wouldn't go after that..

Well when ever i had trouble booting a laptop that was stuck at the bios screen or if it did not boot at all i would take out the CMOS battery and leave it out for 20 seconds and then put it back in and boot up and it worked.

It may be a shot in the dark but i would give that a try. Just make sure that the power cord & the battery are taken out 1st before removing the CMOS battery. you will find it under one of the covers on the back of the laptop. it will look like a small thin watch battery, about the size of a dime.

hope that helps..

Back
Top Bottom