dead motherboard - need to get data off drives

jax2

Beta member
The computer that died was running XP Pro and uses SATA hard drives. How can I get my data off those drives if the computer won't start? Are SATA drives too old to plug into a new computer?

Is there some type of adapter?

No, Majority of new computers these days have sata ports so you should be able to put it in the case and plug it in and boot up to try and recover the data..

SATA drives too old? That's the newest technology for hard drives.

Do you mean it's an IDE drive?

hddinstall_idesata.jpg

If they are sata, new computers offer multiple sata ports on the motherboard (you may need a cable or you may be able to borrow one from the DVD drive if that is sata too). I have one of these and I love it (not this specific brand but...)
Amazon.com : Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives (Black) : Electronics Cable Adapters : Electronics
41YdcnUvX7L._SY300_.jpg

The dead computer is using SATA drives, not IDE. Since it is about 5 years old, I made the (false) assumption that since technology moves on the SATAs would not be current. I figured the new ones all use SATA II, or some other type drives that would not be compatible with mine.

It sounds like that if I buy a new workstation with SATA II drives, that I should be able to plug the older SATA drives into the motherboard anyway.
Is that correct?

One more question: I do have an older workstation that runs IDE drives - is there a way to connect the SATA drives to that machine to get the data?

One more question: I do have an older workstation that runs IDE drives - is there a way to connect the SATA drives to that machine to get the data?

Only if the motherboard supports sata. Otherwise you'll need an adapter like the one I posted.

Thanks for all the info. I have ordered the Vantec adapter kit and look forward to seeing all my files again.

Back
Top Bottom