de-solder

IAntDemo

xxcobraxx
Hey guys, anyone point me out a very very good solder tool, must be a professional one and have all the temps, price, well anything really, just about to open up a business and need this urgent for mobo repairs.

Thanks

Ant

Last edited:
Sorry, your right I did mean just that, my god, that is the daddy, thanks buddy, I will be getting this in the UK, read up on it, everything matches just what I need.

Thanks

it really rather depends on the work that you're trying to do...

If you're trying to take off a large capacitor in order to replace it with an equally sized large capacitor then the bog standard "fire stick" type soldering iron is going to be fine.

if you're planning on doing any surface mount work with capacitors or resistors then you'll benefit from a tweezer type one that can heat both sides of the component at once.

if you are removing surface mounted chips, or surface mounted connectors then a hot air soldering iron rather than one with a metal tip.

additionally if you're doing surface mounted stuff then you might have more luck with solder paste and a fine needle syringe for applying it rather than a roll of solder.

Also I'm not going to knock that brand of solder recommended (as I've not used it). but since you are in the UK you may need to consider RoHS regulations with regards the type of solder that you use.

these guys a pretty good source for tools in the UK, they supply to education squite a bit, so expect that the tools can take a reasonable amount of abuse.

Soldering Equipment, Soldering Irons, Solder

Trust me if you are de-soldering on a regular basis you do not want to use a standard non adjustable soldering iron. Unless you like lifted traces/pads ,then do what you want. I hope you can use 63/37 solder because most other is junk.

Trust me if you are de-soldering on a regular basis you do not want to use a standard non adjustable soldering iron. Unless you like lifted traces/pads ,then do what you want. I hope you can use 63/37 solder because most other is junk.

you misread my response,

if you aren't doing any work that requires any finesse and your work is irregular or requires the rather more brutal approach, then there are really cheap irons that will do. (no sense in blowing a quarter of a grand on a really fancy reflow station if you're trying to replace electrolytic caps, on one job.)

if you require delicate work, replacing fine components, then not only might a different tool be better it might be impossible to actually do the work you want to do with a big soldering iron that you picked up in the plumbing section of a DIY store... or if you're doing the work regularly then a better tool will save you time, multiplied by hundreds of jobs...

by the same token if you're only interested in a line of work fixing tombstoned SMD resistors, or dry joints then you don't need an iron at all and what you actually want is a re-flow oven...

I've worked with non-leaded solder for over a decade (only on a hobby basis) generally I find the American aversion to it over ratted,
yes leaded solder melts at a lower temperature and flows easier, but non lead solder is perfectly easy to solder with, more difficult yes, but not "tricky" or "impossible" and doesn't lead to "impossible tasks" or "bad jobs" or any of the other things I've heard people say about non-lead solder.

According to the op he is starting a business that requires de-soldering to me that means more than one or two joints. Even if i had to do only a few joints I would purchase a bulb type desolder tool for $15 from radio shack. To each his own on the solder topic. I feel along with many others that leaded solder is far superior to lead free. If you like your lead free joints by all means keep at it. Visit a reputable audio repair forum and tell them how much you love lead free solder.

Back
Top Bottom