Is DDR3 worth it?

im like slowly getting it...
i just dont get this
To explain JO3's post a little further: The reason DDR2 is not worth yet is because CPUs runs at FSB speeds lower than that of RAM. Take for example a 2.4GHz CPU (quad-core) that runs at 1333MHz. It is running at a FSB of 333MHz quad-pumped:

4 x 333MHz = 1333MHz

is that only for quads?

To be honest, I barely have a hang of the principle. I explained quad-core because I was 100% sure of it. For a C2D I think it would still be the same because I heard that they're quad-pumped, but only 2 cores. If it's not like that, then you can go ahead and make it:

2 x 667 = 1333 (again, not the real answer, but you know what I mean)

With that said, you'd be able to run DDR3 1333.

edit: After a bit of research turns out that all 45nm C2Ds are quad-pumped. So scratch the highlighted comment.

The FSB is quad pumped. Like RAM, DDR = Dual data rate.

Nothing to do with the amount of cores. 333MHz FSB = 1333MHz quad pumped.

Correct.

edit: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but only Intel processor bottleneck your RAM correct? I'm no expert with AMD, but from what I see their FSB is called Hyper Transport and that runs at 2000MHz (number taken from my processor)

What do you mean?

JO3 brought up a good point, getting DDR3 to future proof your system may not be advisable at the moment, Intel will soon be releasing the Nehalem processors, processors that are gonna need new sockets because of the size of the chip, once the Nehalems are released, that would be a good time to invest in some DDR3 and a compatible motherboard imo...

future proofing is hard enough in the computer world, upgrading months before a major launch of this magnitude makes it just that much more difficult and expensive imo...

Correct.

edit: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but only Intel processor bottleneck your RAM correct? I'm no expert with AMD, but from what I see their FSB is called Hyper Transport and that runs at 2000MHz (number taken from my processor)

Amd procs run differently anyway because the memory controller in on the chip they dont actually utilise a fsb in the same way intel does

basically with the athlon 64x2 chips the HT link is not used for data transfer from the ram to the cpu as in intel systems with the FSB the speed at which the ram runs is a division of the overall CPU speed so multiplier times HT

what happens is your motherboard detects or you tell it the rams rated speed sp say 800mhz and it then sets a whole number divider which divides the actual CPU speed so 2.1ghz that gets the ram speed as close to its target as possible so lets say for arguments sake my chip which is a
4000+ with 2.1ghz clock and my 800mhz ram

basically the cpu clock is divided 6 times which then produces 350 which when doubled gives 700mhz which is nearest to 800mhz as possible whilst keeping a whole number divider

and so to overclock the ram you must increase the cpu speed by increasing the HT link speed of the cpu so say inincreased my chips HT link to 300mhz where it is 200mhz stock
my cpu speed would be
300*10.5=3150mhz
and ram speed would be
3150mhz/6=525 which when DDR is 1050mhz
Learned from watching you and wol-va-rine talk about it hahahah

hey and me :D

I guess I stand corrected: I learned from watching you, worshipme, wol-va-rine, and a true folder (I think he's also good with OCs). Or better yet, if you've mention anything about the 1:1 ram/cpu ratio feel free to add yourself to this list as I probably read almost every single thread in the software/hardware.

Back
Top Bottom