Ddr2/ddr3 Vram

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys!
I'm swapping my 8800GT for an 8600GTS... now, the 8800GT didn't work on my computer and from what I've found it's because the Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2 motherboard has some issues with pci-e 2.0 cards. My brother has an 8600GT on the same motherboard (And almost identical system otherwise too) which works fine - it isn't Pci-e 2.0 but I'm also pretty sure it has DDR2 VRAM... well, the 8600GTS I'm getting is DDR3 VRAM, and I don't want to go buying it only to find it also doesn't work... SO, my question is..

Could the DDR version of a video cards VRAM make a difference in it's compatibility with a motherboard?

Thanks guys
-Rhys

Yes. People are having problems with pci-e 2.0 and nForce 630A motherboards - I have a 500w PSU and I've tried 2 empty rails.

-Rhys

Yes. And if it were, I wouldn't want a new PSU, I'd prefer just to get a cheaper video card. My brother has the same PSU as me and his card works ok.

-Rhys

Rhys is correct. Some motherboards with the PCIe v1.0 slots are having trouble running the new PCIe 2.0 video cards.

Rooster, do you think that firmware from Gigabyte would fix those issues? I just thought, if they were to release some firmware that fixed it sometime soon it may not be worth selling my 8800GT but to wait?

-Rhys

It's hard to say. They could release a BIOS update that would fix that problem in the future. You could try contacting them, but I don't know how far that'll get you.

How much is your 8600GTS going to cost because you can get a 3850 for about $160/£90.

Back
Top Bottom