Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Data Recovery Tools

ok i screwed up my 200gig which i had into 3 partitions and now it only shows 1 and when i double click it, it says this disk is not formatted do you wish to format it now. when i go into disk managament it says 186.7 gigs Healty. i have my windows on a seperate hard drive and havent written over anything. i MUST recover some video files from that hdd which were part of my brothers halo 2 montage(if you can call it that he is pretty good) he wil have my head if i dont get them back might i add. i know there is a way to recover these files but i dont know of any good programs to do it with. i havent done a thing to the partition to overwrite any files. this all hapened after i "lost" my NTDLR and my bro fixed it. dont ask me how ask him

anyone got any help for me?

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff
Default Re: Data Recovery Tools

http://www.smartpctools.com/recovery/index.html

I havent had any experience with data recovery, never needed it. But this looks like it could be the business.

That said, I'm sure Raffaz knows a good one, I've seen it pop up in places from him

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
muz
Golden Master

this is why we keep backups , data dosent exist till there are two copies , that's what out IT teacher used to tell us
if the data is that important it might pay to send it to a data recovery firm although it wont be cheap
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
BSOD

ive looked into a data recovery. they physically take apart your drive and it i like 500$ so that is out of the question unless there is firms that do it with software. but knowing my brother i hope he will be able to fix it. just seeking a second opinion

me and my bro got my dad an external 80gig for fathers day maybe he will let me use around 20gigs of it seeing as he only has around 15gigs he wants to put on it. since he will store in a fire proof safe i think that will be secure enough
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudster816 View Post
ive looked into a data recovery. they physically take apart your drive and it i like 500$ so that is out of the question unless there is firms that do it with software. but knowing my brother i hope he will be able to fix it. just seeking a second opinion

me and my bro got my dad an external 80gig for fathers day maybe he will let me use around 20gigs of it seeing as he only has around 15gigs he wants to put on it. since he will store in a fire proof safe i think that will be secure enough
thats why we backp , so we dont have to pay $500
as long as you kep a backup
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Try Recovermyfiles if you can somehow get hold of it or Getdataback. Ive use RECOVERMYFILES and its good but i did not burn the program onto disc so last time i reformatted i erased it gutted as Ive not been able to acquire it again yet!!!.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

this is a good piece of software but is only free in certain places (wink wink). i cant remember the free one raffaz recommends
Old 06-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
BSOD

thanks guys i hope my bro can figure something to fix it cause it is mostly for him not me. i can always "get the my music back" i dont think he can get his footage back

EDIT:

This is his bro, im almost positvee that the problem is when i when to fixboot on his 200GB harddrive, windows automatically fixed it with the FAT partition and when i fix mbr, that does no help, im basically just having trouble mounting the partitions, so it must be something at the front where windows reads the file system, Im thinking about using UBCD to fix it, cuz thats what i did last time but i was just wondering if anyone knows any other ideas that i may have overlooked thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Try typing bootcfg /rebuild in recovery console. That might find your partitions provided they arent damaged. As for data recovery software, i use a program called getdataback, its never let me down yet.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote