Damsel in distress! Mad modem attacks!

natasha1

Beta member
Hi guys,
any of you willing to help a lady in trouble?
For the last couple three or four days my modem keeps dialling the internet. It's a right pain.
When I start the computer, its away. I click cancel and another box opens up, to which I click 'work offline'. Then the previous box appears and I have to click cancel again, then the other box, click 'work offline' again. Then it stops.
But if I try to open a Word file, it starts dialling away like a madman again, with me clicking and clicking these two boxes that appear as soon as I click the other. During the opening of Word files these boxes appear six times each (that's 12 times I have to click 'cancel' and 'work offline') and it takes well over a minute to open a Word file.
Meanwhile, I can open jpeg files ok, but if I right click on a jpeg icon the modem is dialling again and I have to click 'cancel' etc another four times before I can do what I intended when right-clicking.
This happens when I try to open some other programmes too.

I have tried everything with this problem but nothing seems to work. It started after a NIS Live Update. I have tried System Restore but my computer says it can't (even though I enabled it). When I try to set up my own restore point the computer refuses to do it. The calender screen seems to be frozen, too.

My home workstation is Windows Me.

Is there a gallant knight in shining armour or a fellow technobabe who can help me??? Many thanks x

reformat your hard drive, or do a spyware scan. its usually a virus or spyware.

agreed on the Spyware thing, either that or she has some sort of dialer, that installed itself with out her knowing it.

You don't need to do a format for a spyware prob.

if you are using Internet Explorer use the New Spyware program they just released...The beta one.

If you are using any other browser, then check out The Hacking/Security section... The top sticky will help you out.

sorry. i shouldve been more specific. i meant to say that if you did a scan and it still dials then reformat. sorry. i was in a rush to get to my next class. eyah.

it's time to check what's in the run & run once folder's in the registry.
start/ run/ type reg edit now, go to :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT
VERSION\RUN

in this folder is probably the dialer .exe short cut, if you see it in the folder , just delete that string..that should take care of it.

I heard this problem last week. Their is program that maliciously installs itself and some users use the dialup to pay themselves long distance call, charged to the owner of the telephone line.
I would disconnect the PC write away. Then I would check my installed program lists for unusual names and also for objects in the internet settings. Check your modem settings and also check you windows/temp file if there is not a trace of a program there.
Don't take a chance, don't hook up your internet till you've found the problem cause you may have surprises when the telephone bill comes in.

Back
Top Bottom