Damsel In Distress

Larisa

In Runtime
Help Guys. I just built my first PC and can't get it to work. My problem is my BIOS doesn't recognize my DVD or Hard Drive. I therefore can not load an operating system or other software. The light comes on for my DVD when I power up and I can also open and close the tray.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

You can enter the BIOS and have it auto detect the drives. Reboot the system and press the delete key. The BIOS menu will pop up allowing you to change any settings. Your motherboard manual will describe the entire process and where to look for the needed settings.

Expanding on what AR said. Some boards come with the sata ports disabled. Check the sata setup page in the bios also.

So when you boot up, the first post screen doesn't show any drives? It should list your memory and any attached drives.

See if enabling plug and play works. I know it sounds weird, but it's worth a shot.

So when you boot up, the first post screen doesn't show any drives? It should list your memory and any attached drives.

It lists my graphics card on boot and that's it. Then I get the put disk in drive and re-boot. I do this and the cycle begins again.

Oops, forgot the most basic thing. . .

What are your specs? Motherboard, CPU, drives, memory, etc. :D

Here are the specs:

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 CPU

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB PCIe Video Card

WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

Apex PC-389 ATX Black Mid Tower Case

ULTRA LS600 600W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Samsung 22X DVDRW SATA OEM

Stupid question, but did you try other SATA ports?

I'll try this.

Back
Top Bottom