Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to mr.monger Send a message via Yahoo to mr.monger
Default dads pc busted

again. there was a thunderstorm a day or 2 back adn it think there may have been a minor surge b/c i think the hd got wiped. the pc wasnt on tho( at least i dont think it was) anyway, when it starts up it gets to the win loading screen and then it goes into bsod. poo. says somethings wrong w/ disk drive and stuff like that. how would i fix this. i know i need a os disk and all that. thanks

mr.monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: dads pc busted

Well this looks a bit odd here, I think that we should see if we can recover any data although you said it was wiped. If i was you i would completely reformat with a boot floppy and re-run windows setup. Before that try doing a repair put the disk in, boot from it and preess r for repair when it says too. Otherwise if you cant write anything to the hard disk i think you might just need a new one if the motherboard and that still works fine.

Sorry

Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah, if theres a problem with the computer by a surge. It would have more likely have happened to the motherboard first. They might have protection to protect drives.
Any chance you can check on another PC the hard drive?

Hope this works
Old 05-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
BSOD

Kage please can you clear your private messages. I hope my solution works though
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
per
BSOD

Try this.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.
per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to mr.monger Send a message via Yahoo to mr.monger

ok i figured it out just now. the only things that were wiped were the boot files(which happens alot to me for some reason lol). alos the bios was afected. prob not in a major way, but i didnt check yet. it turns out it disabled me disk drive. so i enabled it and popped in the disk and did manual sys repair. i did fixboot and it worked. so far as i can tell nothing was killed. thanks for the help anyways. also can someone pm me this thing for future reference? it will happen again prob since it seems to happen alot. i guess im lucky since it doesnt wipe important stuff.

mr.monger is offline   Reply With Quote