Cylenders,heads,WPcom,Sec,Bik mode and Pio Mode

Jimbo246

Baseband Member
Hey if you know wat any of those mean and wat i set them to for my Pentium 2, new samsung 40 gig hard drive plz share.

Read the lable on the hdd and it will give you the answer that you are looking for. You can also install it and let the bios automatically search and set the defaults for cylinders,heads, sectors....pio mode is set in the bios but it may not be suitable for your computer.Only your mobo can tell.

k, ill look at the label and i know hter eis an auto detect but i think cuz its such and old mobo id doesnt relize the 40 gig gig and it jus freezes up on me.

if not i dont think they are on the label

Use a 80wire IDE cable for starters. On the Samsung drive set the jumper to master witout slave. Boot to the bios and set the Drive 0 to auto detect. Now if that's a new Samsung 40 gigger drive you're gonna have to go to the Samsung website and get the little support program called>>> 48bit LBA support. It's needed on older systems to make newer drives work right. On win98 you need it but xp has it built in.

i cant find the program for my older system. And if its a utility how am i suppose to get it to work if i cant install windows 98. ?also setishock you PM box is full.ohh and y shoujld i use a 80wire connector?

I put a Samsung 80 gigger on a Dell Optiplex GXa 233l without any problems.
What system you putting this 40 gigger on?

uhh just my old secound computer. P2 ,192 mb. Campus computer, made in like 98.

But if i just new wat the heads an cylenders and the other stuff is i believe it will work. thats wat everyone else says will make it...

the model i have says i need 2 jumpers but i got a computer plce to install it they only had one in and so i only have 1 jumper... wher can i get another?

You're hitting that 32 gig barrier then. Got to have that other jumper in there. If there is a computer store near you might be posible to get another jumper. Check with the repair dept.
There may be a bios update for that problem. Might want to check the makers site and see if there is a bios work around. BUT and a BIG BUT, If it requires a FLASH of the bios think real hard about doing it. If you muck it up you'll wind up with a door prop and a spare hard drive.
I'd get the jumper myself...
EDIT> You can take the jumper out of the old drive. One size fits all.

Back
Top Bottom