Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Cutting a Computer Case - Help Me Out?

HI, GUYS. IT'S ME AGAIN...

I've yet another question. My new PSU (which I have yet to hook up, because I'm still at work) has a fan on the top, and I don't think it will be much harm to my computer to cut a fan-sized hole in the case. I figure: What harm can a ventilation hole in my case, that interferes with nothing, really do?

Now, first of all, I have a cat. I don't know if his fur will magically find the access point and stage a coup on my computer, but I doubt it.

Though, how would I go about cutting a hole in my case? Surely, my first instinct is to take a knife to it and scrape away, but I really doubt that's... uh... viable.

Should I be posting this in a metal-cutting forum?

I'm thinking of something that is easier, but, perhaps, more dangerous to the innards of my computer.

Should I attempt to jab holes in the top, instead of cutting a whole hole? Kind of like giving a gerbil in a box some kind of ventilation, except my gerbil conducts enough electricity to power an 8600.

AmagicalFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Cutting a Computer Case - Help Me Out?

The fan on the top (bottom) of the power supply is an intake fan. It's designed to help suck the warm air out of your computer.

When you install the power supply, I'm sure the fan will be on the bottom of the power supply.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
The fan on the top (bottom) of the power supply is an intake fan. It's designed to help suck the warm air out of your computer.

When you install the power supply, I'm sure the fan will be on the bottom of the power supply.
I would have to agree with rooster on this one, if you bought an ATX power supply it would not have the fan in the top. It would be the bottom.
xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

yeah, im going to have to agree with the two posts above. even though the back panel of the psu may seem upside down when the fan is pointing down, it isnt. mine old one was like that. but also, the screws will justify which way the power supply goes, as they only fit in a certain position.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Baseband Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817101034

You guys are probably right, but the angle at which these pictures were taken almost make it seem as if the fan is on the top.

Was that, most likely, just to show off the 2nd fan - because one wouldn't be able to see it on the bottom?
AmagicalFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

It looks like they did shoot it upside down to show off the fan. Notice where the cables come out on the back of the PSU, that should be the bottom.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Yup it's upside down. Look at the 4 screw holes that hold it to the case. The side that mounts to the top has a screw on the side and then the other hole is offset along the top of the case. The bottom has screw holes out toward the sides.

xtremezx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« firewall | Question »