Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Custom or Pre-built?

Ya, I'm thinking the 7600GT for a vid card, and I just realized there are mail in rebates on some of the parts which brings it down to 627.98!

hascet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

EDIT--> I didn't want to triple post so i'm putting the new build in this one...

Case

PSU

RAM

MOBO

CPU

With the rebates, and some money I have I have its a total of $668, plus from relatives I usually get some money therefore after X-mas I will most likely have enough for a 7600GT...

Old 12-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Golden Master

If you know how to build a system, go for it. I usually build dekstop PC systems for myself and purchase a retail laptop system. But it looks like you've already made the decision to go with a custom build PC. As for your selections, that case is really nice. I like everything you have there except for the motherboard and RAM selection. I mean the RAM you picked is prety nice, but I like to get some extra speed if it were possible and fortunately, you can upgrade to a DDR2 800 SDRAM along with a more capable motherboard.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
In Runtime

Quote:
Didn't see your post before, the gigabit mobo doesn't support SLi which I might consider later on down the road...
well i would still go with the gigabit because umm well.... sli= waste. most of the time you will never notice a + in performance, and if at all it will only be by up to 3fps. sometimes sli even preformes worse.

advice: get a 7600GT for now, and when that gets old, sell it and upgrade to a X1950XTX or 8800GTS when the prices go down
browserjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #15
Fully Optimized

Ok thanks for the suggestions, as for the RAM and Mobo I think these are nice, except I don't knonw if the mobo is SLi compatible it has two pci-e slots which is promising but i'm not sure...
RAM
I have never heard of this manufacturer, but its the only ram that is 1.8v, ddr2 800, and is 5-5-5-15, which is one of the only rams compatible with this mobo, and it has good reviews so it shoudl work fine
MOBO
Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by browserjoe
well i would still go with the gigabit because umm well.... sli= waste. most of the time you will never notice a + in performance, and if at all it will only be by up to 3fps. sometimes sli even preformes worse.

advice: get a 7600GT for now, and when that gets old, sell it and upgrade to a X1950XTX or 8800GTS when the prices go down
Ok, if SLi is that bad then I won't do it i'll wait for dx10 cards to come down, and pick me up one of them, and will be set with a current machine for who knows like a couple months lol, always coming out with new stuff...

Also, the Lian-Li case has two USB ports in the front of the case an I was just wondering how they were supported, is it through a standard port on the mobo, or is it something that might not be supported with my setup?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT--> does anyone happen to have any NewEgg promotional codes I could use, because I signed up for their newsletter a while back and never receive them...? Because with that new mobo I'm about thirty bucks short
Old 12-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Fully Optimized

Anyone have any more suggestions, or answers to questions in my previous questions? Sorry about the double posting and stuff, but I think i'm going to get it tonight, so...
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #18
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Illmatic

The USB ports should come installed in a case and already have a jumper attached which will connect to your motherboard. But, on the subject of your case, you shouldn't pay 100 dollars for one. Lian Li cases are great, but I see you are 30 bucks short. Get a case like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811170027 or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119104 and you'll be in budget.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
Golden Master

Lian Li do have expensive cases, but the airflow and strength is excellent quality.