Custom-built vs. Prebuilt

G9

Daemon Poster
Let's have a discussion on which is better. I'll open up my argument.

In my opinion, custom-built is better only for budget, home rigs. $2000 and under, including the operating system, is my ideal range for custom-built.

But when it comes to higher class machines, like gaming and workstation rigs that exceed $2000, I believe pre-built is the way to go. I mean, if you build the computer yourself, there isn't really much price difference.... a difference you can find in lower-scale machines. Additionally, if something breaks, you are techincal support; you have no reliable source but yourself to turn to.

So the question is, what's so good about custom-built computers, besides the small amount of money saved?

I think the opposite though. For power systems, I like to go custom build. Any other systems or for budget minded people, prebuilt is the best option. I look at Dell and they have nice systems for such an unbeatable price.

Custom built computers has one advantage. You get whatever you want. Maximum compatiblity with other aftermarket parts. You also know every component that goes into your PC (because you're the one that build it) so no researching is needed to find parts info. If you are careful with spending, you can adjust to buy lower end parts and vice versa for high end components. So I guess custom built PC's can also be pretty cheap too.

I use fairly high Pre-built HP computers. It's not that I don't want to build my own computer, it's just that I don't have time to go around, looking for parts. With HP, have a problem, I send in the bad part, they send me the new part. Simple as that.

So, if time is an issue, Pre-Built, if you have time, build your own.

You already said it- you are support. I would much rather build a custom PC, then spend my money at one place for a system from one of the major manufactures. You still have to be your own tech support with them also, due to outsourcing.

Custom Built: You know what you have, how you configured it, and what you can do with it. Plus the knowledge form researching the best parts at what prices.

Pre Buit: Another company designed it, and put it together for you. You have no clue what other programs come with it- and you won't use them anyway. Tech support is a joke- warranty is a joke- give all my money to a major computer maker in one lump sum? No Way! :D

I liek custom PCs because you choose the parts, you put it together, you get the satisfaction of accomplishment and knowing that you built a PC, somethign not every can do. I liek some pre-built PCs as well though, although they generally tend to be higher priced. So the budget conscience person may want to go custom rather then prebuilt.

I just can't see myself going prebuilt PCs anymore. Well, my laptop is prebuilt-but it's a laptop, lol. I don't care for the performance on that thing, as long as I can have a portable PC that does word processing and surf the Net. That's it.

OMG speaking of tech support, I worked as a Network Admin assistant before and we had all these Dell's in which components had to be replaced because they were bad. We had to go through official channels (call support hotline, do the step by step tests over the phone, blah, blah and all that stuff). The people on the other line were mostly from India, not to my surprise. I had one heck of a time understanding them.

All I needed was to get those parts replaced because of warranty.

TRDCorolla said:
OMG speaking of tech support, I worked as a Network Admin assistant before and we had all these Dell's in which components had to be replaced because they were bad. We had to go through official channels (call support hotline, do the step by step tests over the phone, blah, blah and all that stuff). The people on the other line were mostly from India, not to my surprise. I had one heck of a time understanding them.

All I needed was to get those parts replaced because of warranty.
Dell tech support=a free trip through hell

With the Pre-Built systems, do they come with the bundled components?
Like Video card- Games, manual etc. or Motherboard-Anti virus software etc.
You get the point.

Back
Top Bottom