Currently going to build up a new computer, wondering if people can help me out...

PLmatt91

Baseband Member
I made a budget of about $1200 on a new computer, I got about 3/4 of it now and I am still waiting for Intel Conroe to drop in at Newegg.com for better deals than any other online store that you can pre order. Here are the specs so far:

Case: Antec Performance I P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – Link to Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129017

Opt. Drive: SAMSUNG Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive – Link to Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151086

HDD's: Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive – Link to Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144122 | Then I'm going to use my 120gb data hdd that I have now in this PC and putting it into my new one.

Video Card: XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Link to Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150140

Floppy Drive: SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model MPF920 Black – Link to Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103116

Processor: : Intel Conroe E6600 2.40GHz 4MB L2 1066MHz FSB 65W | I'm still waiting on Newegg to get the processor which will be around $280 - $350.

Motherboard: Don't know yet, still awaiting to find out which will be best and most compatible with the Processor.

Memory / RAM: Don't know yet either, awaiting to see which will be best for the Mobo and which will be stable for overclocking.

____

I am going to overclock my processor to about 3.0GHz because I don't want to fry any thing just yet. I'd eventually try to get it to 4.0GHz and add a fan onto my heatsink to run cooler. Any suggestions so far?

Re: Currently going to build up a new computer, wondering if people can help me out...

DEFINITELY go with SATA II (3.0GB/s) instead of Ultra ATA, the speed difference is extremely noticeable (almost all new motherboard's have SATA ports). Go with a 200GB one (they're cheap, only 99$ish)

I don't know about Sata... I haven't seen a difference when I put one in this one but I disconnected that and put it back to the ATA port.

Re: Currently going to build up a new computer, wondering if people can help me out...

SATA has been proven to run faster than IDE. If you go out and buy a 7200RPM SATA, and IDE, SATA would beat it anyday. IDE will die out someday soon.

Build looks nice mate!

I ran my 30GB IDE hdd from this computer the first day I bought it... 7 years later, it still runs today. BTW, thanks. Is there a site that will let your already order Conroe? Still lookin'.

he meant that ide transpoort technology will die out in that it will be proven innefecient and replaced by something much better, which basically has happened by sata, not that ide drives crap out after a while.

Pretty sure that Conroe is using the DDR2 ram, because it is using the Skt T, (lga 775) socket. Although, current socket T and conroe socket T are different.

Thanks BigLu

And ArrizX - I heard it's either DDR or DDR2 but I am still not sure. I want to make sure as soon as it comes out and not before so if I order it, I don't have to be stuck with it when the RMA expires or something.

If you're looking to overclock memory (which I'm not sure if you are or not) I would go with OCZ memory. I got it because it was cheap but I've heard it's really good for overclocking which I might do once I can get a new mobo and case.
For a hard drive I would go with SATAII, I notice a huge difference from IDE, I hate IDE because it's harder to hook up and it's slower compared to SATAII. I put an old IDE hard drive in my PC recently and it was slooow compared to my SATA II drive. It took alot longer to copy large files and such. Hard drives are fairly cheap too, I found a WD 250GB for under 100 bucks that I'm gonna get soon.
For a mobo I would go with asus or any other well known brand. I have a 7 year old build with an asus mobo in it and it's been put through everything and it surprisingly still boots up and everything ( i tried it the other day:p). I would read reviews on newegg.com and see which ones get the best ratings and such. I've found that if you get something with good reviews, you'll be happy yourself.

Looks like you've got a nice build going and post pics. when it's done!

Hope this helps and welcome to CF
Troy

Thanks Troy, I'm not looking into overclocking my memory, but I just want memory that will handle the OC during the process of OC'ing to the processor. As soon as I get all my parts together (which will be by late August, Early September) I will start a build up and hopefully take A LOT of pictures since I am really into photography.

Back
Top Bottom