Crossfire

Infin1ty1

In Runtime
When i build my new system i am going to be getting 2 Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 512 video card, but i have been doing some research on the Crossfire cards and iv read some things talking about a Master Card, so could someone please explain this to me, do i have to have a master card to run the video i am getting?

Infin1ty said:
When i build my new system i am going to be getting 2 Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 512 video card, but i have been doing some research on the Crossfire cards and iv read some things talking about a Master Card, so could someone please explain this to me, do i have to have a master card to run the video i am getting?

there are 2 different kinds of cards from ATI. A Master and a Crossfire Ready card. You need a "Master" card first and fore most then you can buy a normal crossfire ready card and hook them together. Unlike SLI Crossfire can hook two different cards. Lets just say for example the SLI config needs 2x 512mb geforce GTX 7800's to work. The crossfire can take one 512mb X1800XT Crossfire master card then add in an x700 PRO Crossfire ready card and they will work together. That is a HUGE plus to Crossfire over SLI one in which I think will allow crossfire a much larger share then nvidia in the muilt GPU race. ATI will just be much easier and cheaper to upgrade that will attract more people. Unless SLI gets fixed/changed to follow suit.
Not to mention Crossfire running at 8x vs SLI that runs at 16x SLI isnt that far ahead at all and has been out a year longer.

So basically i need to get a master card and then also get the other card i was looking at. What i was originally planning on doing was getting the two sapphire cards, but i dident realize you need a master. So does anyone have any suggestions for a master card?

Infin1ty said:
So basically i need to get a master card and then also get the other card i was looking at. What i was originally planning on doing was getting the two sapphire cards, but i dident realize you need a master. So does anyone have any suggestions for a master card?

Yes you need a master card for it to work. Didnt the X850XT PE have a Crossfire edition and master Card?

for Xfire ready cards there is the 512mb X1800XT Crossfire edition. I woulnt go dual graphix cards just yet though.

Dells new XPS 600 Renegade is the first QUAD SLI Setup. They are dropping in the 955XE chip and O/Cin it to 4.2 GHZ. I will be ordering this the first day it is out. I have desided to give dell a shot if they can drop out that quad SLI rig. 2 GB Video card pretty much. It will be 4 512mb Geforce 7800 GTX's.
That being said. The first Quad XFire rig isnt that far away. and Voodoo/Alienware will have AMD version's of the quad SLI setup. Hopefully running on the AM2 Socket and an overclocked FX-64

Oh yeah i heard about that, Dell is a pretty good company, my last computer was a dell and it dident take a crap on me till the warenty was up (lol imagine that.)

Sounds good though i will take a look into those master cards cards, im not really sure now if im going to go with dual cards are not.

Infin1ty said:
Oh yeah i heard about that, Dell is a pretty good company, my last computer was a dell and it dident take a crap on me till the warenty was up (lol imagine that.)

Sounds good though i will take a look into those master cards cards, im not really sure now if im going to go with dual cards are not.

I hate dell really lol. But I mean they are selling a Quad SLI rig. and They overclocked there chip from what 3.4 ghz/3.6 ghz? to 4.2 ghz for ya and cover it under there warranty. That should make any AMD rig even the AM2 look at it and think twice :) I will be getting the up and coming MMO Vanguard so I want a mean machine to play it on max. It is supposed to be one of the most graphics intensive games todate. Even making games like Quake 4 and F.E.A.R Look "Toy storyish" in comparison.

SpadeXL said:
I hate dell really lol. But I mean they are selling a Quad SLI rig. and They overclocked there chip from what 3.4 ghz/3.6 ghz? to 4.2 ghz for ya and cover it under there warranty. That should make any AMD rig even the AM2 look at it and think twice :) I will be getting the up and coming MMO Vanguard so I want a mean machine to play it on max. It is supposed to be one of the most graphics intensive games todate. Even making games like Quake 4 and F.E.A.R Look "Toy storyish" in comparison.

I cant say that iv heard of it, but im defently going to take a look into that game.

Back
Top Bottom