Critical Temperatures for an AMD

Kuberr

Daemon Poster
Okay, I know the critical temperature is 63C, but I was wondering at what point does the heat actually begin to damage the chip?

I want to overclock my processor eventually, without having to buy a new heatsink. Why? Installing my motherboard was a real pain in the a**, and even though it's much easier now, I don't think I have the patience to remove all the wires and put them back again. (The Zalman heatsinks require you to put something underneath the motherboard in order for it to work.)

My Fx-55 runs 42C now at idle; will it be okay at say 55C load?

Yeha, it should. I've done my intel to 63C. It should be fine. My load was 100%. yeah. Didn't really help it, and it's life was shortened a bit (which is why I have my amd now) but it can. It was stable for 48 hours.

OC'ing is not worth the risk when considering what damage can be done... *shrugs*
55C load will be fine on amd.
(for the record, I have a p4 socket 478 cpu in my old system that does 64C full load, and it has still not died out over the past 2 years, in fact i'm typing this here on that computer now :p)

MikeReiner said:
OC'ing is not worth the risk when considering what damage can be done... *shrugs*

It depends on whether you're careful or not...

this is very important a proffesional at a store told me that 60c is the max for any amd 64. Many other people also say 60c MAX. Is your san diego at 55c load with default clock speed?? thats kind of bad if it is and something is wrong with your stock cooler.

My winchester is overclocked 600mhz with 1.65v (the default volts was 1.4). WIth all this overclock my load temperature is 52c MAX. never goes above 52c. And you have a san diego they should be cooler than winchesters.

Nah, it's at 47C load, but I want to overclock in the future without having the hassle of buying and installing a new heatsink.

you dont need a new heatsink, amd 64s are built for overclocking. san diego is just a venice core with 1 meg cache instead of 512. Venice cores are built for overclocking. YOu can get 400mhz without even touching the vcore, just increase the 200HTT number in your bios. Make sure you lock pci/agp, that option for locking is somewhere in your bios (set them to 66mhz/33mhz). you should be able to hit 3ghz with ease with the stock cooler, hell even more.

EDIT: overclock as much as you want to, just make sure you cpu temp never goes above 60c with 100% cpu utilization. If you find out that your computer keeps restarting at your overclocked setting, increase the vcore a little bit. I guarentee you your temp will increase by just 2 to 3 points as long as dont use like crazy vcore settings like 1.7volts or 1.8volts (which is dangerous and will destroy your cpu with stock cooler).

Back
Top Bottom