Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio toslink issues

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey everyone.
I recently sold my second-hand Pci-Express Xtreme Audio sound card to my mate, whom wanted it for its TOSLINK Connections (digital input/output). He has a Yamaha AV receiver RX-V361 and after connecting it up, he cannot find ANYWHERE on the Creative's applications where he can set the output to toslink... Or at least, he is not receiving sound from the PC to the receiver.

Does anyone know what the problem here is?
Regards
Rhys Andrews

It doesn't have one natively. There are no Digital connection that'll work from the word go. He wouldn't even find anywhere to plug in a toslink.

You need to buy a convertor called the Creative I/O from Creative, that converts the A to D 3.55mm jack to a digital connection, which is the 3.55mm jack on the right of the sound card, which includes SPDIF in/outs, for Optical and Coaxial.

I have it for my Xtreme Music and it works a treat :) Shame they are so hard to find.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=1780&category=1

Its out of stock on the main site at the moment for the US :(

Optical sound is Digital sound.

I wasn't aware that that card even had any on it...
The Xtreme Music didn't, and I thought the Audio was a degraded version.

Make sure he has the Creative Drivers installed first of all.

Now, if he wants to send data in Digital, he may find he has to click to allow Digital everytime Windows starts up. Its a bug.

Open the Sound Control, go to Advanced and tell him to enable Digital Out. Even if its ticked, tell him to untick and then tick again.

Now, go to the Creative Audio Console,

Set the mode to Audio Creation Mode for the best sound quality, set the Decoder to use Dolby Digital/DTS Bitstream out if his amp has this function as a decoder.

Thats all he should have to do.

Thanks Kage.
Xtreme Music is a degrade, except this is the Pci-Express version which for some reason has some advantages.

I'm pretty sure his issue is that he needs a 3.5mm toslink and the one he has isn't 3.5mm... but it still seems to fit. So I'll tell him what you've told me just in case but I think it's the cable that's the issue.

Thankyou
-Rhys

OH NO DUDE.
Xtreme Music isn't a downgrade. I SOLD my pci-e to this guy because Xtreme Music was only $20 bucks and is much better. Toslink is one of the very small number of advantages of the Pci-E card.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom