Creative "Dell" chipsets?

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi guys.
Every now and then I come across a creative sound card I can purchase, but in the name it has "Dell" in brackets, usually after OEM.

For instance: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music OEM (Dell) (PCI)

What does this mean? I hate dell, won't go near them - but clearly these aren't JUST for Dell's, so what does it mean?

Thanks
-Rhys

it means that dell has OEM creative sound cards, they get them cheaper and in bulk when they buy OEM, OEM simplified means that its simply the component itself, for example... if you buy an OEM harddrive vs. retail OEM only comes with the anti-static wrap and the retail comes with box, instructions, cable, software, drivers all that stuff, without all the extra junk, its obviously cheaper, thus they buy OEM

I've bought OEM stuff from Dell before, it's good stuff.

i dont like dell in general, im tired of their stupid proprietary stuff, (sorry just venting :)) at work i absolutely hate working on those things... granted they are one of the most dependable standard user pc's, when it comes to working on them its a pain, i had to work on one today and i had to modify the stupid case to put a new psu in which took more time than putting the psu in itself, annoying! NO other company does that...

I know what OEM is, thanks - so the Dell part pretty much means it was packaged in the way that Dell purchases the bulk cards? I guess that makes sense.

Thanks again
-Rhys

I know what OEM is, thanks - so the Dell part pretty much means it was packaged in the way that Dell purchases the bulk cards? I guess that makes sense.

Thanks again
-Rhys

oh, i guess i misunderstood your question then, i didnt realize you knew what oem meant...

yea it just means that it was packaged through dell, they claim it as their part (sorta) and resale it for higher prices (they are the middle man in this case)

Back
Top Bottom