creating a spanned volume (memory)

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses to my post! :D I took 2 photo's of my memory and attached them. If I knew how to properly copy files over from my OS: C to my Data D then delete them from C leaving only the operating system I suppose that would solve my problem sufficient enough because it looks like they are separate drives.

Attachments

• bandicam 2013-11-08 01-35-07-431.jpg
    bandicam 2013-11-08 01-35-07-431.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • bandicam 2013-11-08 01-36-10-566.jpg
    bandicam 2013-11-08 01-36-10-566.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yes they are... Well, then there is nothing left than find someone that can copy the whole drive C:\ I mean EVERYTHING because copy and paste wont do it (Windows files won't be able to get copied because of the restrictions) and buy a new MSata drive, preferably SSD/SSHD. Or just re-install windows if you have the codes to do it...

There must be something causing wrong managing your files on the C drive. Do you use Outlook? Any idea how big is your system's pagefile (right click on My Computer >> click on Advanced System Settings >> Click on Settings in the Advanced tab >> click on Advanced tab and see what is the xxxxMB count under Virtual Memory) ?

How much does the free space get in worst cases? If it is only as low as 5GB as you mentioned before, then it should be fine and there is nothing to worry about.

I suggest that you just leave it as it is and uninstall what you do not need from there. Don't use that C drive ever later and leave it for the system and updates only.

Because if you don't find the reason why the space (or memory as you call it) is being eaten, you will possibly have no solutions that do not involve losing the recovery files.

If it is okay to risk losing the recovery files, shoot us (not in the head tho :)) and will give you many solutions.

Oh, no need to lose hope. Even with the recovery files lost, Windows and drivers can still be found on HP's website with some effort and good internet connection. You can then make your own recovery solution and save the 2GB taken for recovery on the same HDD that has Windows drive on it.

Note: spanning HDD's can only be done from within Windows and with all spanned-to-be HDD's unallocated. Yup, separate physical drives can be spanned into one drive only.

Last edited:
honestly... i would never span a hard drive. programs like said about "GPARTED" or any others out there will let you clone hard drives. Then when its cloned to say your 1tb you can use GPARTED to repartition the drive so that you have your OS on the 1tb. hope this helps

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses to my post! :D I took 2 photo's of my memory and attached them. If I knew how to properly copy files over from my OS: C to my Data D then delete them from C leaving only the operating system I suppose that would solve my problem sufficient enough because it looks like they are separate drives.

Your computer has a solid state drive. This is why you have a small main partition and a big storage one. Based on this, here are your options:

1. Switch the OS to the storage drive. This will result in a much slower system, but you won't have to think about where you install/save things. NOT RECOMMENDED

2. Install a bigger solid state drive. This will be fairly expensive, but could well be worth it if you don't mind dropping the money. For reference, a 240 GB SSD costs around $200.

3. Learn to manage your files properly. There's no reason you can't get by with a 75GB SSD. When they first came out, people were using 30-40GB ones as their main drive without problem. You pretty much need to remember to change drive letters when installing programs and update your browser's download path. It takes a little bit of effort, but you save yourself money and keep a fast system. This is really the best option in my opinion.

Run windirstat on your C drive and post a screenshot of the output here. This'll give us a pretty good idea of what's going on, so we know what advice to give.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom