Creating a new partition

allenn812

Daemon Poster
Hi, i have a 40 gig harddrive, and the only drive i have is my C drive. It only holds 6.99GB. It pretty much all filled up, So when i try to make another drive, like a D drive, it says i dont have enough space, well it only alows me 8mb. Anyone know why?

dont necesarily take my advice as correct, but it sounds as if you have created a partition but not foemated it. u must format the partition so it can be used.

my mistake. anyway if it were me i'd just save what you need and format the whole drive in dos, then re-install windows.

Well, thats because when you first bought your computer, the manufacturer only put one partition for the whole drive which is especially annoying, seeing as if it crashes, you run the rish of losing all data, instead of the data only on one partition
What i would recommend is use QTParted from a Knoppix CD, you can resize the primary partition which in your case is C:\ so that you have more free space and then you can create a partition ...
Make sure that you run a system check on your hard drive (chkdsk /f in command prompt) and back up anything or everything that is important ...

Back
Top Bottom