CPUs

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
Okay, processors...let's talk here. I'm customizing my own comp. I'm planning to go Intel. This is my MOBO:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131564

It's a CPU Socket Type LGA 775. It doesn't say anything about it being compatible with Pentium D's, but...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property

Check those top three processors.

Now, they're Dual-Core. Will those run on the above MOBO, or not? They're Pent. D, but they're also LGA 775.

Thing is, the second Dual-Core there is 2.8 GHz. It costs $265.

This is a link to a Pentium 4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198

It costs $172 and is 3.0 GHz.

Now, the Dual-Core CPU is 200 MHz less, but costs only $93 more. Is that worth it, or is there something else I'm missing? 'cause from what I understand, dual-cores are WAY better than regular Hyper-Threading CPUs.

Help?

Intel? Are you crazy? I'm sorry, I know nothing about such products. Not to mention that's a very expensive motherboard you have picked out.

dude i saw you mention a pentium D if you must go Intel please do it right and go for the P4 or the Xtreme Edition... but if you can dude go AMD i was a strong intel guy up until someone convinced me to try AMD and i have loved it ever since...

Why would I be crazy? From what I've understood, Intel is better at multitasking. Athlons are better for single-tasking - so if I was to sit and play one game and do nothing else, Athlon might be better...but even now, I have open AIM, a convo, wordpad, Mozilla, and a calculator. Bunch of little stuff, but I seem to multi more than anything.

No input on anything else there, huh? Damn...

recon 16 said:
dude i saw you mention a pentium D if you must go Intel please do it right and go for the P4 or the Xtreme Edition... but if you can dude go AMD i was a strong intel guy up until someone convinced me to try AMD and i have loved it ever since...

Why did you chose AMD over Intel?

Well, I usually have AIM (usually around 5 conversations at once because I'm a popular fellow :D), iTunes, Microsoft Word, Firefox, Outlook, and Solitaire :)D) at one time. I have never detected any lag whatsoever while doing all of this. I've also had two games running at once time and they played very well considering the fact.

When it really boils down to it, Intel's are a bit better at multi-tasking, but not by a lot. Athlon's, on the other hand, are much, much better at single-tasking than Intel's.

Am I right, or am I right? :D

(... I could be wrong, actually...:D)

Ziirou Requin said:
Why would I be crazy? From what I've understood, Intel is better at multitasking. Athlons are better for single-tasking - so if I was to sit and play one game and do nothing else, Athlon might be better...but even now, I have open AIM, a convo, wordpad, Mozilla, and a calculator. Bunch of little stuff, but I seem to multi more than anything.

No input on anything else there, huh? Damn...

I have a Intel D :) I love it!

I can give you this. The Pent D is more expensive because It has two cores. Even though the Intel Pent 4 is faster, it is getting a bit old, and dual core is the "new thing". Hope this helps!

Yeah, I was looking at Pentium D's because they're Dual-Core.

In the end, it probably comes down to which one is cheaper. I'd probably never notice the difference, huh?

By the by Jam, is that Athlon you're talking about that you use a dual-core or no? 'cause I can't see how you can say the Pentium D (though Intel) which is Dual Core is worse than an athlon, especially if it's not dual core.

well first this guy i know who has bean in the pc business for several years said AMD's are better for gaming, and i was like yeah i have heard that alot and did not believe him at first, but then he told me that AMD are the only windows compatible 64bit processors... i dont have XP pro 64bit edition but i was thinking 64bit is going to be the technology of tommorow so i went with this idea and i was real skeptical waiting for the parts to come in... my old machine had a P4 and it worked pretty good, but now in my new machine i have the AMD 64 3700+ this is a little more expensive that what you need but it is what i got... so i was playing call of duty and these huge maps like i cant even begin how to describe how big they are, load alot faster... also it runs real quiet and cool... i would seriously reconsider the whole Intel man, because in 1-3 years when 64 bit computing becomes popular you are going to have to upgrade and spend a bunch of money, or be left behind... also AMD are supposed to like i think it is called threaded differently so they carry the data faster... please man try amd cuz' when 64 bit computing becomes popular you are going to regret getting that P4, but seriously if you have to go intel do not get the pentium D...

if you have more questions please feel free to ask...

I wasn't comparing the Athlon single cores to the Pentium dual cores, oh no! That's unfair! :D

Just comparing the single cores to the single cores.

Recon 16 has a great point that I forgot to mention! 64 bit processing! It's the way of the future and when that comes around you're going to want to be ready for it. It isn't too far away at all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom